Moderator: Moderators

Toolmaker
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Tiling over quarry tiles?

Post by Toolmaker »

Hi all,

The whole of our downstairs floor is quarry tile (1950s council house) we would like to tile over these tiles. What sort of advice would you give? One tiler said unibond it before tiling to seal them but I have my doubts about this advice...

When we first moved in, there was laminate flooring laid through out apart from the kitchen which was two layers of lino :cb (messy job to lift that stuff up). When we pulled it all up there was plastic sheet under the laminate. When this was removed there was salt deposits on the quarry tiles which leads me to think that this is because there is no dpc under the floor? I was told by a fellow diyer that under my quarry tiles might be a sort of charcoal. However, when I lifted a couple of tiles I've found concrete.

So basically, I'm seeking some advice about how to go about tiling over these quarry tiles. Damp issues down the line is my main concern? I've read about primers that can be painted over tiles prior to tiling but I'm unsure as to which one if any to use :scratch:

I really don't fancy pulling the best part of 50m^2 up :lol:
Thanks in advance for any advice :thumbleft:

Jase
PaulS86
Newly registered Member

Tiling over quarry tiles?

Post by PaulS86 »

Use a roller and paint a DPM over, then tile.

FAST one Coat DPM will fit the bill.

Personally, I would lift the tiles. You don't know how well they are bonded to the floor.

Return to “Tiling Forum”