Tiling questions and answers in here please

Moderator: Moderators

sppc42
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Tiling floor over cork tiles

Post by sppc42 »

Hi,

I need to tile my cloak room and on removing the carpet there, i realized that it has cork tiles glued to it. Removing the carpet has also caused a huge difference in floor levels between inside the cloak room and outside room adjoining it.

How can I raise the level of the floor - so as to be able to put Porcelin tiles on it? I don't think I can directly apply adhesive to the cork tiles as that might expand/contract at a differnt rate than the adhesive?

Attaching a pic of the floor.

Thanks
Sandeep
Attachments
20200513_114813_copy_1512x2016.jpg
20200513_114813_copy_1512x2016.jpg (293.42 KiB) Viewed 1556 times
chrrris

Post by chrrris »

I'm not a tiler, but we had those exact same cork tiles on our kitchen floor when we moved in here. We took them up just with a hammer and bolster (this was about 20 years ago, I didn't have the collection of power tools I have now). It was bloody hard work as I recall. It would probably be a lot easier & quicker with an sds drill and a wide chisel bit.

I then tiled directly onto the concrete subfloor, but if you need to raise it a bit before tiling, a self-levelling screed would do the job nicely.

2 decades later, and barring the grout needing a damn good clean, it's stood the test of time (which is a small miracle, considering I didn't have much of a clue what I was doing at the time).
kitchen-tiles.png
kitchen-tiles.png (966.91 KiB) Viewed 1548 times
These users thanked the author chrrris for the post:
sppc42 (Thu May 14, 2020 10:25 am)
Rating: 7.14%
Haste is the enemy of quality.
sppc42
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by sppc42 »

Awesome, thanks for the insights. I'll do the same :)

Return to “Tiling Forum”