Bal APD primer not doing its job on Marmox and Impey waterguard

Tiling questions and answers in here please

Moderator: Moderators

ahearsum
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by ahearsum »

My first big tiling job. It's a wet room and I'm at the stage where I have Marmox boards on floor and walls and an Impey former. I'm just about to put down the Impey Waterguard membrane and the instructions specify priming with the supplied Bal APD primer.
I tested the BAL primer inadvertently as I was doing some construction adhesive tests between back painted glass and marmox boards. (The winner incidentally was definitely CT1 by a big factor!). The Marmox primed with the BAL primer was much easier to wrench from the glass than an un primed Marmox board. This led me onto testing the Impey Waterguard membrane on both BAL primed and unprimed Marmox board. Again it was much easier to pull the membrane from the BAL primed Marmox board
I'm now a bit uncertain about the way forward. The nice guy at Impey technical support suggested diluting 1:1 with water rather than using neat (which I'm testing) but does anyone have any views/experience of this sort of issue?
aeromech3

Post by aeromech3 »

Bal primer is for semi porous like plaster walls or wood floor prior tiling, Marmox are water proof, unless you want the Bal to act as a release agent!
Marmox do make a specific sealant adhesive called Marmox Multibond

Return to “Tiling Forum”