Moderator: Moderators

Mrdt
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

help planning shower build

Post by Mrdt »

Hello all,
I am soon going to be fitting our a new shower room in my house, first time so i have a few questions.

The room is currently a new build bare plaster shell, it measures 104cm wide where the shower is going.

I have bought a shower tray and sliding door that are 1000 x 700 size.

As my room is 4cm wider than i need it to be I am trying to work out my best options for making the shower booth 4cm slimmer. how would you experienced chaps go about this?
Ktuludays

Post by Ktuludays »

I assume you'll be tiling the enclosure?

How thick are the tiles?
40mm is a fair whack to take up with tiles and adhesive though and perhaps a little more fore thought would have solved the problem.

You could overboard one end to reduce the gap to something more manageable or just dot and dab tiles on both ends with a thick adhesive bed.
If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.
Mrdt
Newly registered Member

Post by Mrdt »

Hello,
yes I am going to be tiling, the original plans were for a quadrant shower which have now changed to a sliding door rectangle, hence the size issues.
The tiles will be a standard b&Q so i presume 5 or 6 mm thick,

Yes i am thinking over boarding is a route forward, or building out somehow.
Alternatively I could put in some 2 x 1 timber at either side of the shower screen, that would leave a gap on each side of the tray to be filled. Possibly with mortar, then a tile cut for top.

For ease i am thinking about building out just one side with some 2x4 laid flat and then over boarding it, this would be maybe 60mm thick which brings the gap in the 98cm.

As a side question would you have tiles behind the screen door or do you fit the door first? Presuming the tiles run behind.

Thanks
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

Mrdt wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:51 am

As a side question would you have tiles behind the screen door or do you fit the door first? Presuming the tiles run behind.
On all the shower cubicles/screens or whatever that I've fitted , the instructions have always said that you should tile to the edge of the shower tray and the bits that are screwed to the walls go over the tiles with silicone behind them between the frame and the tiles.
One day it will all be firewood.
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

This needs careful planning to get the sizing right. This is making an allowance for all the levels board, adhesive and tile.The enclosure frames generally have a little bit of movement in them so check the fitting instructions on yours. In my minds eye of the job I would think building a wall out to accommodate a built in shower valve would be a good solution. But it will need exact measurement. Use Aquapanel or the like for the board.

DWD
Mrdt
Newly registered Member

Post by Mrdt »

Thanks, I was looking at tanking it but then read that if its tiled properly then aquapanel or tanking is not required...
Mrdt
Newly registered Member

Post by Mrdt »

yes i see it like this, (I think),
Its currently 1040mm wide

So if tiles and adhesive is say 10mm that's 20mm for both sides, tiles go on top of the shower tray - no problem.

So if I screwed an additional sheet of board at 20mm thickness to both sides this would bring me in to the required width of 1000mm for the tray. The tray is a confirmed 1000mm wide.

I saw this stuff at b&q, 20mm thick Q Panel,
So if I screwed that to the wall on both sides it would bring in my width to what I need.

Any objections?

One question I have is with the end of the board, the 20mm part, that will go behind the sliding door, I will need to finish this somehow and make it look decent. Any ideas?
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

I'm finding your terminology/workings confusing. If the frame is 1000mm you need an opening of about 1005mm assuming that both walls are plumb.

I'd suggest that you make a scale drawing to see exactly what goes where.

If there's 20mm behind the frame, any gap on the front edge can be disguised with a cover strip.
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

UPVC strip is always handy to silicone stick on. See https://www.directplastics.com/upvc-tri ... ndow-trims

DWD
Mrdt
Newly registered Member

Post by Mrdt »

ayjay wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:47 am I'm finding your terminology/workings confusing. If the frame is 1000mm you need an opening of about 1005mm assuming that both walls are plumb.

I'd suggest that you make a scale drawing to see exactly what goes where.

If there's 20mm behind the frame, any gap on the front edge can be disguised with a cover strip.
The sliding door I have bought says it has 20mm each slide of adjustment possible - its 960mm - 1000mm. My walls are plumb square, but I have some grace space for those tiles to go behind the sliding door frame.
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

ayjay wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:16 am
with silicone behind them between the frame and the tiles.
Silicon should only be applied to the external side of the shower frame to allow any water ingress to drain back into the tray
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

wine~o wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:48 pm
with silicone behind them between the frame and the tiles.
Silicon should only be applied to the external side of the shower frame to allow any water ingress to drain back into the tray
That definitely applies to the bottom rail, but not the uprights.
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

That definitely applies to the bottom rail, but not the uprights.
Someone-is-wrong-on-internet.png
Someone-is-wrong-on-internet.png (79.47 KiB) Viewed 3238 times
I've only fitted a hundred or so shower screens or doors/cubicles in the last 12 ish years, not one of the MI's stated that any silicone should be applied anywhere other than externally. But I respect your opinion, even if it is wrong. :wink: :wink:
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

wine~o wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:11 pm
I've only fitted a hundred or so shower screens or doors/cubicles in the last 12 ish years, not one of the MI's stated that any silicone should be applied anywhere other than externally. But I respect your opinion, even if it is wrong. :wink: :wink:
It's probably further back than that (12 years) since I last fitted one, but I can absolutely guarantee you that it was common with instructions then to silicone behind the uprights. I can even remember bo*****ing an apprentice cos he'd done inside the bottom rail as well and I showed him on the instructions where he should and shouldn't have used silicone. So, possibly my opinion is out of date, but never wrong, (an opinion can't be wrong, imo). :mrgreen: :wink:

Return to “Tiling Forum”