Fitting Carpet

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

Beav

Fitting Carpet

Post by Beav »

Hi guys,

my daughter has a bedroom which is pretty much a rectangle which I would like to have a go at replacing the carpet.

Seen a few videos on youtube but I know they sometimes make it look a lot easier than it is. Would you say this is something that should be ok done by your average Joe?

Reason i'm asking is I know a lot of companies don't actually charge much more on top of the carpet to fit it and by the time i've bought the correct tools it might just be worth me getting someone in to do it?

Thanks,
Beav
dewaltdisney

Fitting Carpet

Post by dewaltdisney »

It depends if you just want to lay it or have it fitted on gripper. In the past I have just layed carpet in bedrooms and as long as you have a door bar to grip the door area it is usually fine. You can buy underlay and gripper at Screwfix for under £50 for an average room but you need a knee kicker as well to stretch it and these are at least £20. I am sure you will be able to work out the best option. Get a quote direct from a fitter, it usually is a lot cheaper than the shop who calculate on square meters and not the perimeter.

DWD
aeromech3

Fitting Carpet

Post by aeromech3 »

I have DIY both replacing just underlay where I could choose the quality and replacing all including gripper. You need to state if the shop will remove old and replace with a carpet incl. budget underlay. Yes much easier; doing it yourself can save a bit but expect a few curses tacking down the gripper and using a Stanley knife to trim into the skirting is a skill to avoid over cutting or scoring the board. Like DWD says, I got a fitter last time and the job was very neat, and he did not mind using the underlay I had bought.
Beav

Fitting Carpet

Post by Beav »

dewaltdisney wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:28 am It depends if you just want to lay it or have it fitted on gripper. In the past I have just layed carpet in bedrooms and as long as you have a door bar to grip the door area it is usually fine. You can buy underlay and gripper at Screwfix for under £50 for an average room but you need a knee kicker as well to stretch it and these are at least £20. I am sure you will be able to work out the best option. Get a quote direct from a fitter, it usually is a lot cheaper than the shop who calculate on square meters and not the perimeter.

DWD
aeromech3 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:46 pm I have DIY both replacing just underlay where I could choose the quality and replacing all including gripper. You need to state if the shop will remove old and replace with a carpet incl. budget underlay. Yes much easier; doing it yourself can save a bit but expect a few curses tacking down the gripper and using a Stanley knife to trim into the skirting is a skill to avoid over cutting or scoring the board. Like DWD says, I got a fitter last time and the job was very neat, and he did not mind using the underlay I had bought.
Thanks guys. The room is 4 x 5M (20m square needed). I have found some decent 9mm underlay which will cost £75 on top of the £99 carpet.

Can you recommend anywhere online to buy?
dewaltdisney

Fitting Carpet

Post by dewaltdisney »

These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
Beav (Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:05 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
Beav

Fitting Carpet

Post by Beav »

Would you guys recommend using any sticky spray?

I will/have been ordering carpet grippers, knee kicker, chrome chisel (for carpet laying).

I do have a staple gun thats advertised for use with carpet laying. Not sure which staples I need though?
aeromech3

Fitting Carpet

Post by aeromech3 »

Sticky spray mostly for foam backed carpet and foam /rubber underlay around the edges to the floor to stop it shifting when you work the carpet; if you are not stapling. Staple guns will only take a particular size so check your gun, I used a hammer stapler. Have you read or U tubed carpet laying. Normally tape the underlay joints.
These users thanked the author aeromech3 for the post:
Beav (Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:06 am)
wine~o

Fitting Carpet

Post by wine~o »

£ 99 carpet of that size won't be hessian backed, so depending on the backing glueing or stapling is the way to go, stretching is only normally required for hessian backed
These users thanked the author wine~o for the post:
Beav (Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:06 am)
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
Beav

Fitting Carpet

Post by Beav »

aeromech3 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:49 pm Sticky spray mostly for foam backed carpet and foam /rubber underlay around the edges to the floor to stop it shifting when you work the carpet; if you are not stapling. Staple guns will only take a particular size so check your gun, I used a hammer stapler. Have you read or U tubed carpet laying. Normally tape the underlay joints.
Yes, i've seen a few youtube videos. Not actually seen anyone use the adhesive spray but I ordered some as when we got the professionals in who did our staircase/landing (didn't want to do stairs as a first attempt) they were using it.

Carpets due tomorrow with underlay and carpet grippers. Kneekicker, chrome draper 3" bolster came yesterday.

A lot of people I speak to in person didn't even bother using carpet grippers in the bedrooms, but I aim to do it once and properly (touch wood).
dewaltdisney

Fitting Carpet

Post by dewaltdisney »

I hope it goes well, come back and let us know how you got on :thumbright:

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
Beav (Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:12 pm)
Beav

Fitting Carpet

Post by Beav »

dewaltdisney wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:09 pm I hope it goes well, come back and let us know how you got on :thumbright:

DWD
Thank you and will do!

Looks like there is no gap at all under the skirting board so I hope I get a decent cut

Return to “General DIY forum”