wall mounting a pull up bar

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

owas
Newly registered Member

wall mounting a pull up bar

Post by owas »

have a wall mounted pull up bar that i want installed into an indoor wall,
all the information i find is for stud walls, as this was an exterior wall before my house extension, it is bricks with plasterboard on top,

what i plan on doing,
as i don't trust the pull up bar directly on the wall, i think i should put a 3x9 piece of timber into the wall first,
would using some long masonry anchors in the four corners and two in the middle, then just bolting the pull up bar on to the wood with the head end going in from the back of the wood,what is a good anchor to use? bearing in mind it has to go through three inches of wood too,

fyi, there is a gap between the plasterboard and the brick wall because its put up using the dot and dab method, so id have to put the wall anchors through the plasterboard glue(?) bits right to not ruin the plastorboard?

pic -

thanks!
ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Re: wall mounting a pull up bar

Post by ultimatehandyman »

It might be a plan to just mount the pull up bar on the wall without the wood first. If you do this you can cut away two squares in the plasterboard in the correct position for the pull up bar. You can then bolt it directly to the bricks using some through bolts.

If you cut away the plasterboard and find you cannot get a good fixing you can then use the piece of wood.

You will have to choose the correct size for your pull up bar, so you need to see what size the holes are in it-

http://bit.ly/w2Wd2J

You can see some through bolts in use here- http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/diy/d ... fixing.htm

and here-

These users thanked the author ultimatehandyman for the post:
owas
Rating: 7.14%
owas
Newly registered Member

Post by owas »

hi,
thanks for your quick reply!
i will be adding the wood as i need it to be out from the wall due to a radiator underneath ( need space to bend knees w little)
as i am unsure of the space between the plasterboard and brick, what length bolt would you advise for 3mm plate on the pull up bar then 3 inches for the wood peice then the space between plasterboard and brick ?

thanks

edit -
i just forgot i wont be adding the pull up bar into the wall but only in the wood, so only the 3" wood will go in
thescruff

Post by thescruff »

No way there's too much cantilever for my liking.

Assuming the bricks are good, use a chemical fixing with studs.

You can put the stud through the wood and bracket and tighten the nuts.
These users thanked the author thescruff for the post:
owas
owas
Newly registered Member

Post by owas »

thescruff wrote:No way there's too much cantilever for my liking.

Assuming the bricks are good, use a chemical fixing with studs.

You can put the stud through the wood and bracket and tighten the nuts.
i think some nice big through bolts should do it tbh, i know its not supported on one side but as i only weigh 75kg , and have done a pull up on my punchbag bracket outside with is only suppported by those small plastic anchors in one place without moving at all,
i could span a bar all the way through the room, only 80" but as its already a small room, a bar going along wont be verry appealing (the gyms took over half the kitchen space)

i will only be using smaller length lag bolts to connect the bar to the 3x9, as in the american totorials ive seen, the pull up bars are usualy lag bolted to 2x4 and hold up solid.
thescruff

Post by thescruff »

Depends how strong the bricks are, through bolts are good but the way the bar is made is a direct pull out.

Your weight is only relevant if there's no jerking movement.
owas
Rossthedon
Has thanked: 0

Post by Rossthedon »

I would be a bit wary of fixing onto the plasterboard, especially as its dot an dab, meaning a lot of your fixed surface (the wood) will have only plasterboard to support it, with the down force you will be putting on it............

If it wasn't dot an dab you would be ok but remember, only a certain percentage of the plasterboard is directly fixed, so you might put too much pressure on unsupported gyproc.

Personally, i would cut out the plasterboard, fix the wood directly to the brick with rawl bolts or the like then fix bracket onto that.
If thisdoesnt give you enough clearance for the radiator then you could always pack it out more (not ideal i know but better than fixed directly onto gyproc)
These users thanked the author Rossthedon for the post:
owas
Rossthedon

Post by Rossthedon »

If you dont want to be cutting out the gyproc then i would use a larger piece of wood to spread the weight on the plasterboard a bit more.
owas
owas
Newly registered Member

Post by owas »

bit of a noob moment,
i actualy do have a stud wall i can attach it to rather then the brick, but the pullup bars wall plates are 21" across, and 4" wide, so it would still have to be put on a wood peice first,
how safe is it to put in a stud?
there two brick wall either side and the partion is a stud wall
Rossthedon

Post by Rossthedon »

:salute: as longt as the piece of wood you put on first hits 2 studs then your laughing
owas
owas
Newly registered Member

Post by owas »

Rossthedon wrote::salute: as longt as the piece of wood you put on first hits 2 studs then your laughing
:huray:
ill lag bolt the pull up bar to a peice of wood, then lag bolt that to the studs

thanks for everyones help ! :thumbright:
thescruff

Post by thescruff »

Use 25mm ply in preference to board.

I was doing some chin ups the other night, " I actually got my feet of the ground once" :help:
owas
owas
Newly registered Member

Post by owas »

thescruff wrote:Use 25mm ply in preference to board.

I was doing some chin ups the other night, " I actually got my feet of the ground once" :help:
now you mention it, i have a 95x61cm scrap peice of 20mm ply, i could double it and make 40mm ,
so getting it into the wall isnt really a problem anymore, 3.5" lags should do,
but actualy putting the bar on the ply?
best way? 35mm lag bolts seems a little small tbh, bolting it on with a countersunk head in the back ?
owas
Newly registered Member

Post by owas »

oh and,
if you want to do more pull ups, id suggest putting a chair there, lifting yourself up with your legs on the chair, then taking your feet off and bring yourself down for a 5 sec count, works the negative portion of the move :)
pluss do rows etc to strengthen your back
These users thanked the author owas for the post:
nick200
nick200

Post by nick200 »

owas wrote:oh and,
if you want to do more pull ups, id suggest putting a chair there, lifting yourself up with your legs on the chair, then taking your feet off and bring yourself down for a 5 sec count, works the negative portion of the move :)
pluss do rows etc to strengthen your back
Thanks Owas, I wanted to do more. When I next get to the gym I will try it out. :thumbright:
Nick

If someone helps then thank the helper and also check out UHM's Nominated charity - http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

Return to “General DIY forum”