freeview and old tvs and videos

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

big-all
Pro Carpenter

Re: freeview and old tvs and videos

Post by big-all »

no you just need a freeveiw box
vcrs are old hat[video cassette recorders]
http://www.google.com/search?q=video%20 ... 60&bih=632
we are all ------------------still learning
Puma

Post by Puma »

But come on Big All what the happens when you are walking down the corridor, on the way to the second gantry say, and you want to watch television - you're completely screwed then.

You would actually have to move into a new room to watch the tv. :shock:

Personally I could not cope and have had a tv / vcr / digisat gaffer taped to my arm at all times.
BillyGoat
Troll Headbutter

Post by BillyGoat »

Just to throw in another suggestion here, as I'm guessing most people here are going to be posting on comptuers......

Windows XP Media Center
Windows Vista Home Premium and Ultimate
Windows 7 Home Premium and Ultimate

All of the above come with Media Center built in that is Free View capable if you have a TV tuner in your computer. Granted, most don't, but you can get one for very little money (20 quid?).

The desktop I have here uses a PCi card internally so I can record two channels or watch 1 and record another. I can also plug in another to record 4 channels at the same time.

Laptops are easily connected to your LCD/Plasma screens if you want to view the recordings on the big screens - so many things people don't take advantage of.

The other good news is games consoles - you can get a TV kit for the PS3 which lets you pause, record and view freeview.

Just some food for thought!

BG
Arguing with a woman is like reading a Software Licence Agreement.
In the end, you ignore everything and click "I agree".
Puma

Post by Puma »

The PS3 is also a very good DVD and Bluray player.

I have a samsung BD c8500 - Bluray player, HD recorder, wirelessly connects to laptop, web browser with Lovefilm app, Freeview+ receiver. All for £160 from fleabay.

The best thing it the Lovefilm app we can stream any of 4,000 + movies at above DVD quality. Simply the best service currently available. I think it is worth finding out if your television supports smoothing / judder removal before going for this though.
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

nahh its simple
you can have as many signals traveling along the arial you just choose the ones you want to watch
if you need to watch a freeveiw channel and traveling back to the center is to much you just plug in a £20-30 freeveiw box and watch what you like :thumbright:
we are all ------------------still learning
kellys_eye

Post by kellys_eye »

Blueray? Who uses THAT? Blueray is the modern equivalent of Betamax - much the same way as 3D TV is headed :lol:
Don't take it personally......
BillyGoat
Troll Headbutter

Post by BillyGoat »

Nought wrong with bluray - people are too quick to skip to the download-ables to appriciate the AUDIO that goes with a film.

Everyone is all about the picture and screen these days. Thinner, sleeker, smaller bezels - well, where does the speakers live in this arrangement?

I've got a home theatre amp, not the piddly all in one kits that lights up like a pretty christmas tree when it sees a DTS-HD master audio track pass it's lovely inner workings to provide a rich beautiful immersive sound when you watch a film.

It's like going from your analogue TV to HD - your ears open up and 'see' a new part to a film.

I remember watching a film with the missis and she paused it and made me go to check the front garden....she could hear a tapping on the window. It was the film - but the rear channels were so crisp, it was scary! World apart from the pap they peddle on TV and low bitrate dvd steams.

BG
Arguing with a woman is like reading a Software Licence Agreement.
In the end, you ignore everything and click "I agree".
kellys_eye

Post by kellys_eye »

In a similar vein they make super HQ audio CDROMs these days but most people listen to audio via a 320kb/s (or lower) MPEG file on their iPods......
ericmark

Post by ericmark »

Realised hardly ever watch TV in kitchen so removed 22 inch cathode ray and replaced with 14 inch cathode ray. Schineider with built in VHS and on screen programming what ever that is. Worked OK last time used before freeview came in but now can find how to tune it in the the freesat box which has replaced the old aerials we had before analogue was switched off. At the moment can only watch tapes the TV bit is not working.

I still have analogue piped around the house taken from Sky+ box and HDD/DVD recorder so two channels. Any idea how to tune TV without a remote. Tried host of remotes which are universal but can't find correct code.

Second is there any way to get the time through a sky, freesat, or freeview box. Before change over the HDD/DVD would auto set time from BBC but now can't find a way to auto set time which drifts slightly over the year.

So at moment have to record tape in bedroom TV connected to old sky box then transfer and play in kitchen. Long term going to run LAN cable and use old laptop so can watch films on main LAN hard drive and also show instructions for kitchen stuff but TV would be nice at Christmas.
kellys_eye

Post by kellys_eye »

Check for hidden panels that cover manual tuning buttons (or allow access to a menu). If you don't find one then without a remote control you're stuffed. Lower edge of the casing is often the place to look.

Time signals cannot be extracted as they used to come from the old Ceefax signals, now defunct.
stevread1
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by stevread1 »

Dont you need an AV channel to watch videos ,freeview etc or am I going too far back in the past. Also the silver flatscreen/widescreen tv's that came out before the present generation plasma/lcd tv's can now be brought second hand for next to nothing. These have all the scart connections at the back and will work perfectly well with all digital set ups.
Second is there any way to get the time through a sky, freesat, or freeview box. Before change over the HDD/DVD would auto set time from BBC but now can't find a way to auto set time which drifts slightly over the year.
I thought usually on sky and freeview it shows the time on the info bar that comes up when you change the channel on the right hand side.
southwood3
Lemming

Post by southwood3 »

It was reported yesterday that 13,000 of us Brits still use a black and white TV - or at least they still buy a B&W license :wink:
Wee Eck

Post by Wee Eck »

ericmark wrote:Realised hardly ever watch TV in kitchen so removed 22 inch cathode ray and replaced with 14 inch cathode ray. Schineider with built in VHS and on screen programming what ever that is. Worked OK last time used before freeview came in but now can find how to tune it in the the freesat box which has replaced the old aerials we had before analogue was switched off. At the moment can only watch tapes the TV bit is not working.
I still have analogue piped around the house taken from Sky+ box and HDD/DVD recorder so two channels. Any idea how to tune TV without a remote. Tried host of remotes which are universal but can't find correct code.
According to here http://www.digitalsat.co.uk/skyremotecodes.html you should be able to do it with your Sky remote.
ericmark

freeview and old tvs and videos

Post by ericmark »

Oh when you look back at this thread, and see how things have moved, now we have TV's with USB for direct connection to hard drives, and direct connection to LNB for satellite. Which is just as well as freeview has so few channels.
These users thanked the author ericmark for the post:
arco_iris (Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:31 pm)
Rating: 7.14%

Return to “General DIY forum”