Tying things to the roof rack

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

_Chris_

Post by _Chris_ »

What quick way do you use to secure things to your roof rack?
Gadget
Jack Of All Trades

Post by Gadget »

With rope or cord, and remember the less rope/cord you use in any knot the more secure it will be.
By eck! ©
ahfix

Post by ahfix »

I use ratchet straps, by far quicker and more secure than rope. They create a clamping pressure securing the load downward onto the bars.

ah
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Ratchet straps for big loads, tie down straps for most other loads, the ratchets are often overkill for a couple of lengths of wood. I almost never use ropes, I know you can secure loads very well doing it and I am not too bad at knots like the truckers hitch or the versa-tackle, but I do it so rarely it makes me very slow to load and unload, ties downs work better and faster for me.

I have various attachments I have made for my roof rack to help me secure items though I don't often need it these days.

If I needed to carry full sheet goods I would make up a pair of rails to help me do that, straps on sheet goods usually damages them.
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

Same as Roschach as far as straps go.
Ratchet straps for bigger stuff.
Webbing tie downs for smaller stuff. Nice and quick to use.
ahfix

Post by ahfix »

Actually, same as the guys above. I have tie down straps for smaller loads like lengths of timber (couldn't remember the name last night) and ratchet straps for sheet material.

ah
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

Ratchet straps for any more than a few miles, you can get a hybrid rubber bungee - Can't think what they are called atm
_Chris_

Post by _Chris_ »

Thanks all, I do find the ratchet straps a little time consuming, but the tie downs I use tend to come loose after a few miles. What are the webbing tie downs? Do they usually keep tight and secure for many miles? It's usually for lengths of wood, fence posts, fence panels etc.
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

Something like these.
Many other similar types available though.
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/2-piece ... -tie-down/

Had mine for years and they've never come loose that I can remember.

As I said I don't use them for anything heavy though.
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

I use those cam lock straps for securing the ladders to the roof and not had a problem. I use rope as well at times. Only last week we took down a shed and removed it on top of a transit and i roped that on without problem and if i'm shifting fence panels or ply it's on the trailer but again is normally roped.
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Dave54 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:44 pm Something like these.
<a href="https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/2-piece ... e-tie-down" class="skimlinks-unlinked" data-skimwords-word="https%3A%2F%2Fwww.machinemart.co.uk%2Fp%2F2-piece-2-5m-cam-buckle-tie-down" data-skim-creative="500005" title="" style="">https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/2-piece ... ie-down</a>/

As I said I don't use them for anything heavy though.
Yep that's the same type I use. I have a big selection of both bought and homemade for various jobs.
So far I have never had one come loose but I am careful about how I use them. I like to do multiple wraps around the item being secured, pulling it as tight as possible before using the buckle to cinch it down at the end, this way there is a lot more friction between the straps and the roof rack/item. Basically I am treating the webbing like you would a piece of rope and the buckle is just the "knot" at the end. Whenever possible I also take the free flappy end and do a few half hitches as insurance.

Friction is often the bit people overlook when securing loads, it is the key element (in the absence of a physical barrier). If your roof rack doesn't have rubber strips, make your own and use other rubbery/grippy materials as well if needed, they really help.
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

Dave54 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:44 pm Something like these.
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/2-piece ... -tie-down/

I bought some short ones of those from eBay to tie up the wife's walking frame and stroller thing in the back of the van.

When I left the feedback, I just wrote:- She''ll never get out of these ones! :lol:

I've mostly used rope to tie things down to my roof-rack, I did also get a couple of ratchet straps in later years, but still mostly used rope.

When I was still living in the Smoke, I was picking up a bit of glass one day and a Greek guy in the car park had about six large sheets of glass tied on top of his estate car - he didn't actually make it out onto the road before it all slid off - the dip down into the gutter and then braking for a look-see was enough to launch the whole lot off. (Any sheet stuff I tied on I always took the rope around the front end in the tying process).
One day it will all be firewood.

Return to “General DIY forum”