Exterior window sill nightmare

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

Pitmn
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Pitmn »

Hello I bought a house a few years ago and noticed the screed was broken and so sorted it out. It's a 1960s council house thrown up no doubt. I am in no doubt theres been some movement. Just had new windows and pulled off exterior upvc shelf and saw that it had moved. I also have a damp problem in the side of the window which has been there and is still there after windows have been fitted. I'm a bit nervous about what I'll find by hacking off the pebble dash. What do you think he happened and I would appreciate advice with this as I'm on my own and could do with some advice. Is this subsidence? There is a few cracks in the new plaster for 3 years and there is some cracks but nothing more than hairlines. I'm happy of there is some movement but I'm worried that there is more to this
Attachments
20200703_195712.jpg
20200703_195712.jpg (136.05 KiB) Viewed 666 times
rsz_120200703_195748.jpg
rsz_120200703_195748.jpg (182.91 KiB) Viewed 666 times
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

inside looks like bad adhesion off paint
are you talking about the mismatch on the cill ??
the cracks underneath are nothing
we are all ------------------still learning
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

I should not worry too much I think that the paint in the corner had flaked because of poor priming I do not necessarily feel it is caused by damp. The exterior sill could well be a row of quarry tiles as it was quite common for these to be used on council builds. If you look closely is there paint covering the joints and tiles adjacent and the gap is caused by grout coming out the join? Do not start pulling the render about, a lot of council houses of the period were built using formed concrete as the inner shell which was pebble-dashed. They are bombproof so so not worry. Council houses were built to Parker Morris standards of space and amenities and are in the main are good houses.

DWD
Pitmn
Newly registered Member

Post by Pitmn »

Thank you so much for your advice. I really appreciate the time you have taken. Yes I love where I live. The last time i think they really thought about how families should live. There are apple trees here and gardens big enough for an allotment. All south facing too. Wonderful houses if not a little noisy cos they didnt consider sound proofing 😃
Pitmn
Newly registered Member

Post by Pitmn »

Bot sure they were quarry tiles looks like concrete but I am going to stick a bit of upvc over it for now to stop me stressing 🙂

Return to “General DIY forum”