Euro Barrel Lock Confusion

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

limegreenpine
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by limegreenpine »

Hi,
I have been given a couple of old doors to use in my allotment sheds.

(Door A)
The first door had keys but was locked "open" and the key wouldn't turn, not really knowing what I was doing I tried to strip it (all the metal and moving parts down the side of the door) and oil it with sewing machine oil. That didnt work. Then I found out about snapping the lock...which did work. (and now I have a pile of fittings from the side of the door :shock: )

(Door B)
The 2nd door was also locked but I was able to get to the screw that was holding the barrel lock in place because the foot plate of the frame comes off so I was able to pull the fame away from the door slightly to open it.
This one was harder to break but I managed it eventually....

These doors are only for an allotment shed so it is not big deal if I cant solve these issues as I could always just screw on a hasp,clasp and lock but I would like to try.

Both of these door mechanisms are different, door A is part of a french window and has hook style fitting that move up and down but I have taken off all the parts and after braking the lock off is it worth trying to figure out how it all goes back together? I can't see how the internal working are not damaged after hitting the lock with a bolster?

Door B has round metal noggins that normally slide up and down but wont move up and down and are stuck in the locked position despite the fact that there is no barrel lock inside anymore? What could be causing this? Is it worth trying to replace the lock ( i didnt remove the metal parts on this door just the one screw) and how do I know if I have a 40/55 lock or a 55/40 lock? are the reversible if they dont have a thumb turn?

Hope this post make sense. I can take pics next time I am on my allotment if that would help?

Thank you in advance.
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

Pictures always help.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

If you pull the lock mech out of the door it usually breaks down into 3 parts the bolts top and bottom and the gearbox - The bolts are either hooked or held by screws on to the gearbox some older doors do have a one-piece lock tho

If you have snapped the euro you still need to unlock the door - replicating how the lock works if that makes sense - there are tools just for this job eg. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/locksmith-to ... 3230385538 - or if you have a spare euro barrel use that

Make a note or take pictures of the markings on the face of the gearbox/lock part, it makes it easier to identify things

Yes if its not a thumb turn or has raised bumps, euros will go in either direction
limegreenpine
Newly registered Member

Post by limegreenpine »

As requested :)
Attachments
Door B
Door B
dorb.jpg (217.43 KiB) Viewed 651 times
Door B
Door B
dorb2.jpg (160.64 KiB) Viewed 651 times
Door B
Door B
dorb3.jpg (185.63 KiB) Viewed 651 times
Door B
Door B
dorb4.jpg (117.35 KiB) Viewed 651 times
Door B
Door B
dorb5.jpg (107.71 KiB) Viewed 651 times
Door A
Door A
dora.jpg (166.76 KiB) Viewed 651 times
Door A
Door A
dora1.jpg (140.82 KiB) Viewed 651 times
Door A
Door A
dora2.jpg (146.88 KiB) Viewed 651 times
Door A
Door A
dora3.jpg (124.6 KiB) Viewed 651 times
Door A
Door A
dora4.jpg (128.45 KiB) Viewed 651 times
limegreenpine
Newly registered Member

Post by limegreenpine »

Bob225 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:20 pm If you pull the lock mech out of the door it usually breaks down into 3 parts the bolts top and bottom and the gearbox - The bolts are either hooked or held by screws on to the gearbox some older doors do have a one-piece lock tho

If you have snapped the euro you still need to unlock the door - replicating how the lock works if that makes sense - there are tools just for this job eg. or if you have a spare euro barrel use that

Make a note or take pictures of the markings on the face of the gearbox/lock part, it makes it easier to identify things

Yes if its not a thumb turn or has raised bumps, euros will go in either direction
Thanks for your reply......
Think this might just be beyone me to be fair..
I just sent some pictures before i saw your post.

Return to “General DIY forum”