Caustic Soda & Wallpaper Paste, Dilution

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

funkytwig
Newly registered Member

Post by funkytwig »

Around 15 years ago I cleaned my unvarnished floorboards with a mixture of Caustic Soda & Wallpaper Paste. This worked splendidly. The wallpaper paste was so I could paint it on. I then scrubbed, rinsed and neutralised with a 25% vinegar solution (I think it was 25%). I then varnished with epoxy varnish, which in retrospect was a bad idea as it is virtually imposable and hazardous to remove.

Anyway its looking a bit tatty (bits warn through) so I've decided to clean the floor and after trying lots of things and spending a few days decided to go back to Caustic Soda & Wallpaper Paste as it works so well.

Problem is I can't work out the dilution. I used crystals and seem to remember something like 10 litres to 100g crystals but can't remember and its nasty stuff. I know it was a very week solution. I've heard people talk about starting at 5% but as I have crystals cant work out how to make a 5% solution.

Any advice on how to get the strength right.

Ben
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

I am pretty sure the epoxy will resist the caustic soda.
funkytwig
Newly registered Member

Post by funkytwig »

Yea, that's the idea. I am going to get the floor really clean and put another couple of coats on the same epoxy varnish on top. I did this in the hall, cleaning with dilute vinegar and pan scrubbers. Worked fairly well but the Caustic Soda should do a better job with less work. Was worried you would be able to see parches where the varnish had warn through to the wood but it was fine.
funkytwig
Newly registered Member

Post by funkytwig »

OK, have some info that may be helpful for others I found. Think 500g to 1L for full-on paint striper. Add it 100g (or even 50) at once stirring it into the water as it gets hot. Use think rubber gauntlets, not thin marigolds and wear a respirator mask and eye protestors. For cleaning floorboards, I am going to try 50g to 2l. If you are going to try this make sure you read first post in this thread.

Return to “General DIY forum”