Curtain pole in bay window

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

yartin

Post by yartin »

Hi
I have a bay window with curtain pole/track fixed by the PVC window frame, it's flimsy and there is a gap between track and ceiling. I think the ceiling is plasterboard, am I better of fixing the track brackets onto the ceiling? What fixings shall I use? OR any other solution?
The curtain track is made of metal bent for the bow window. The curtains are full length app 230cm med/heavy.
Pics attached.

Thanks

curt1.JPG
curt1.JPG (24.78 KiB) Viewed 949 times
curt3.JPG
curt3.JPG (40.49 KiB) Viewed 919 times
curt2.JPG
curt2.JPG (39.23 KiB) Viewed 919 times
yartin

Post by yartin »

I will fix the curtain brackets onto the bay ceiling.
How do I know if the ceiling is timber or plasterboard? So I can use the right fixings. When I knock it doesn't hollow as it does on the main room plasterboard ceiling.
moderator7
UHM Super Moderator

Post by moderator7 »

I've turned the shots the right way round for you.
These users thanked the author moderator7 for the post:
yartin (Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:15 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

I usually poke a ceiling with a terminal screwdriver, if it goes in easy and pink stuff comes out as you poke it, its 90% probability its plasterboard.
As its a bay window is it a "bay window with nothing above it outside" Where I used to live above the downstairs bay window was the upstairs and its bay window, my point being that some bay windows have a "flat roof" (For want of a better description) and if you poke too far, or use too long a fixing you may puncture the flat roof. (Unlikely but should be considered)

How will you fix those brackets to the ceiling? They look like the are meant to be fixed at one end to a flat surface. (Which is probably why they are where they are) They do remind me of Tram power lines (am I showing my age? ) but that is probably the reason that you call them "flimsy" I would say they are flexible, probably due to the curtains you have being too heavy.

I do have an idea, since the weight is too much for the curtain track supports, could you not add a fixing at the end of every other track support?
Also if you are having trouble pulling (drawing) the curtains, have you tried spraying the curtain track with furniture polish and then wiping it with a duster?
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
yartin

Post by yartin »

someone-else wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:43 pm I usually poke a ceiling with a terminal screwdriver, if it goes in easy and pink stuff comes out as you poke it, its 90% probability its plasterboard.
As its a bay window is it a "bay window with nothing above it outside" Where I used to live above the downstairs bay window was the upstairs and its bay window, my point being that some bay windows have a "flat roof" (For want of a better description) and if you poke too far, or use too long a fixing you may puncture the flat roof. (Unlikely but should be considered)

How will you fix those brackets to the ceiling? They look like the are meant to be fixed at one end to a flat surface. (Which is probably why they are where they are) They do remind me of Tram power lines (am I showing my age? ) but that is probably the reason that you call them "flimsy" I would say they are flexible, probably due to the curtains you have being too heavy.

I do have an idea, since the weight is too much for the curtain track supports, could you not add a fixing at the end of every other track support?
Also if you are having trouble pulling (drawing) the curtains, have you tried spraying the curtain track with furniture polish and then wiping it with a duster?
The main reason to change to ceiling fixing because there is a gap of 4-5 cm between curtain and ceiling, doesn't look good.
At the moment there are 14 brackets, its like every 30cm.

The top part of the bracket is flat, pic below
They are flimsy because the extension bracket has long arms 15cm and fixed to the PVC frame.
It is def plasterboard, I fixed a bracket screwed it to the ceiling but a medium force pull took it out.

Which plasterboard fixing is best for such? I have seen Fischer Duopower having good reviews. Any recommendations?

Shall I put more brackets??

Probably change to light weight curtain.

I hate fixing anything to plasterboard. So may be keep as it is and change curtain and get with valance to hide the gap.
curt4.jpg
curt4.jpg (2.83 KiB) Viewed 902 times
yartin

Post by yartin »

I did some checks, it's standard 12mm plasterboard and there is no substrate behind it to use for fixing. The best option is heavy duty spring toggle which am planning to use?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECDysfNhx_E

Return to “General DIY forum”