Best Lubricant for shed hinges?

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

Roy22
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Roy22 »

I recently had to replace the substantial hinges on an outside shed at what I guess would be only 5 years old. Despite looking like they'd outlast the house, they'd worn badly making the door drop and swing open on its own. They weren't a design you could easily take apart to shim etc.

The replacements were equally heavy, and I worked light oil into them thoroughly before fitting. Being keen not to scrap another pair, I recently googled the subject and found some suggesting other lubricants including grease. I guess more resistant to gravity draining it away but less penetrating?

I'd be interested to know opinions on the best way to preserve these from an early grave.
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

I usually use one of the PTFE sprays for that sort of thing these days.
Seems to last reasonably well, without being sticky and attracting dirt.

I said a while back on another thread somewhere, that I've got some hot dip galvanised hinges on a shed door here, that have had almost daily use and little lubrication, and are still going strong after many years, so I wonder what the hinges you have are like?
Roy22
Newly registered Member

Post by Roy22 »

The ones I fitted this time were these:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/smith-locke- ... pack/6027j

The originals were even heavier, I bought these as a direct fit replacement but turned out slightly different.

I'm wondering if the looseness of the design allows too much space around the pin, i.e. the oil just drains away? Most indoor hinges hold no less a weight, get little attention until they squeak and yet seem to last forever. Perhaps tight enough to hold the oil by capillary action?
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

Indoor hinges don't get rained on. :-P
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

I have the black ordinary T hinges like those on gates and shed doors at my property. Like Dave, I have never lubricated them in 20 years. I have never had one fail, do your hinges take the weather badly?

DWD
Roy22
Newly registered Member

Post by Roy22 »

dewaltdisney wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:32 pm I have the black ordinary T hinges like those on gates and shed doors at my property. Like Dave, I have never lubricated them in 20 years. I have never had one fail, do your hinges take the weather badly?

DWD
I would not have said they weathered badly. But for the fact they dropped so much I had to realign the padlock latch, I would have said they looked like new. I was left wondering it the pin steel was s**t, i.e. just not hardened enough. Like you, I'd expect to ignore such hinges and watch the wood fail before they did, but this is not what happened.
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

Roy22 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:23 pm The ones I fitted this time were these:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/smith-locke- ... pack/6027j

The originals were even heavier, I bought these as a direct fit replacement but turned out slightly different.

I'm wondering if the looseness of the design allows too much space around the pin, i.e. the oil just drains away? Most indoor hinges hold no less a weight, get little attention until they squeak and yet seem to last forever. Perhaps tight enough to hold the oil by capillary action?
See how they go, but as Walt says, I've had them rust and fail, but never wear out.
For future reference, for any outside hardware get hot dip galvanised. They're usually much heavier construction, and they don't go rusty.
You can get them at farm supply places.
They don't look shiny, or not much, they look greyer, and a bit like they have a thick coat of silver grey paint.
Don't buy the ones that are shiny and look electro plated.
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

I suspect the structure has warped out of true. Check the levels, my sisters shed had the hasp out of alignment problem and I noticed the shed had sunk slightly on one corner. I shimmed under the floor bearers and pulled it square which solved the problem. I am wondering if your shed has formed a paralleogram?

DWD
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

^ I wondered that as well DWD. I've had a lot more trouble with shed doors and gates moving over the years ,than I have with faulty hinges.
And there's more than the average number of shed doors and gates here.
Roy22
Newly registered Member

Post by Roy22 »

dewaltdisney wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:42 pm I suspect the structure has warped out of true. Check the levels, my sisters shed had the hasp out of alignment problem and I noticed the shed had sunk slightly on one corner. I shimmed under the floor bearers and pulled it square which solved the problem. I am wondering if your shed has formed a paralleogram?

DWD
Checked the frame early on, all true and very well made by the previous owner. The wear of the upper hinge in particular was substantial, lifting the door revealed a lot of movement on these already quite loosely made hinges. All happy with new hinges, for now at least.
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Never came across this happening before, sorry I cannot give you guidance on this?

DWD
Roy22
Newly registered Member

Post by Roy22 »

dewaltdisney wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:59 pm Never came across this happening before, sorry I cannot give you guidance on this?
Ok well thanks anyway. The fact that you and others find this inexplicable perhaps points to a faulty hinge. It may not have been the same brand as the Screwfix replacement, i.e. a recognised make, so perhaps I got a batch where someone in the factory used pins that had not yet been hardened so wore abnormally fast.
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

I did have some plated ones years ago, that were made of cheese.
They went rusty very quickly, and then snapped on the knuckle, not due to the rust, but the material.
IIRC, they were bought from a market stall, one of those "Ah I need some of those hinges" moments.

Such is life.
The hot dip replacements are still there.
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Thick grease for outdoor use.

Return to “General DIY forum”