removing moving a roof tile

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

serval
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by serval »

in the photo im trying to move some roof tiles on my garage in order to inspect and fix a hole in the felt near the undercloak.
I cant move the tile pointed out with my pry bar,

1. because its nailed in and 2. because there is no upwards movement in the mortared in verge tile that overlaps it (outlined in red).

ive managed to get the 1st nail out (the one closest to the camera) but cant get enough movement to allow me to lift the right side of the tile and slide it forwards

Has anyone got any advice on how i might be able to remove this tile?
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

serval wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:14 pm Has anyone got any advice on how i might be able to remove this tile?
It's not going to be possible without breaking the mortar holding the verge tiles. Even if you had a *Slate Rip*, the lugs on the back of the tile mean that you have to lift it by the depth of the lug to remove it, to do that you have to lift the verge tile.
One day it will all be firewood.
Firewatcher
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by Firewatcher »

You might try sliding a bare hacksaw blade below the tile and upwards in the gap you do have to cut the second nail off. Then you should be able to slide the tile across and lift it where you have already opened up.
These users thanked the author Firewatcher for the post:
serval (Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:53 am)
Rating: 7.14%
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

Firewatcher wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:38 pm You might try sliding a bare hacksaw blade below the tile and upwards in the gap you do have to cut the second nail off. Then you should be able to slide the tile across and lift it where you have already opened up.
Sounds like a plan. :oops: :salute:
One day it will all be firewood.
serval
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by serval »

Thanks both, ive got a multitool so ill see if the metal cutting blade has enough length to reach the nail....doubtful but if not ill resort to the hacksaw blade as plan b!

Return to “General DIY forum”