Fascia advice and fitting questions

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

serval
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by serval »

The mitre joint on one of my facias is not aligned and has a pretty big gap see pic……

Ive already painted this but im wondering if it could be a problem that I should sort out while ive got the scaffolding up?

Both sections of fascia are firmly in place with no movement so Im not sure if it is just a case of bad fitting or warped timber…..the condition of the timber anf soffit is sound with no rot.

should it be replaced?

If I wanted to fit a new section would I have to remove the first row of tiles and soffit etc?
Also should some sort of flexible adhesive be used between mitered joints to account for any future movement?
mudmouse

Post by mudmouse »

If it was me and I already had scaffolding up I would replace the fascia and soffits with Cellular PVC. To do the job properly you need to remove the first row of tiles as the felt may need replacing (due to UV action at the eaves) to make sure any rain that penetrates the tiles gets into the gutter and not the roof structure.
Also, whatever you do, you need to make sure that the ventilation is clear - it looks blocked in your photos.
These users thanked the author mudmouse for the post:
serval (Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:48 am)
Rating: 7.14%
serval
Newly registered Member

Post by serval »

mudmouse wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:25 am If it was me and I already had scaffolding up I would replace the fascia and soffits with Cellular PVC. To do the job properly you need to remove the first row of tiles as the felt may need replacing (due to UV action at the eaves) to make sure any rain that penetrates the tiles gets into the gutter and not the roof structure.
Also, whatever you do, you need to make sure that the ventilation is clear - it looks blocked in your photos.
thanks mudhouse, i decided that i want to keep the timber as i prefer the look and theres nothing wrong with it ( apart from this short section) also the rest of the house has timber beams all over so id have to do the whole lot to keep it looking consistent

are the tiles actually supported by the top of the fascia?

and does the soffit need to come out for cleaning or can (will) it stay in place with the tiles/fascia removed so i can hoover out the debris?
mudmouse

Post by mudmouse »

Hi,
Generally, unless a tilting fillet has been fitted to the ends of the rafters, the tiles are supported by the fascia board.
If you can brush/vacuum/blow away the build-up of old cobwebs and dust such that the mesh is clear to allow the passage of ventilation air then that should be fine.
I would not be too concerned about the gap in the fascia but I would probably fill it with a paintable mastic and leave it at that if the timber is sound.
I would not remove the fascia or tiles unless I could ascertain that the felt had degraded and was causing water to get into the roof structure and therefore required attention.

Steve
These users thanked the author mudmouse for the post:
serval (Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:39 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
serval
Newly registered Member

Post by serval »

great, thanks mudhouse

Return to “General DIY forum”