Adding Handle to Other Side of Window/Door

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

petedln
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by petedln »

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone with a bit of expertise in windows/doors could help me out with something I would like to have a go at?

Where I live we have a balcony with an access door to a common hall that leads to the elevator. This is the easiest way to leave the apartment if you are moving anything of any size etc.

Unfortunately the lock handle for the door is only from the common area to the balcony, and not on the other side (my side). So if I want to use it I have to go out of another exit from my apartment, all the way round another route to open the door from that side. Likewise when coming back I cannot lock it from behind me without going all the way round again, all I can do is close it over.

So I was wondering how would I go about adding a handle to my side of the door? The door is one of those window/doors and the handle is either down for locked, horizontal to open or up to open the window from the top with a small gap. I think they are called tilt and turn windows.

I haven't removed the handle yet to take a closer look at it but the two problems I can see are that the tilt and turn mechanism is quite complex, running all around the inside of the frame, so another handle on the other side will need to connect/activate all of the locking mechanisms, and that the handle on the side where it can be opened from will not align with just putting another handle directly opposite on the other side due to the shape of the door and how it sits in the frame. Hopefully you can see what I mean better from the attached pictures. The red handle in the diagram is where I would like to attache a new handle.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had any experience doing this and knows what I need and how to go about it, any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Attachments
Door.jpg
Door.jpg (7.91 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
20200618_112300.jpg
20200618_112300.jpg (128.5 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
20200618_112251.jpg
20200618_112251.jpg (123.18 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

if its a communal area it belong to the lease holder so you cannot touch it without permission
we are all ------------------still learning
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

:withstupid:
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
petedln
Newly registered Member

Post by petedln »

It's our building.
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

Are you the sole lease holder?
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
petedln
Newly registered Member

Post by petedln »

Yes.

So... any ideas on the door/window handle?
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

petedln wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:12 pm Yes.

So... any ideas on the door/window handle?
The handles have to be opposite each other in order that they can both operate the spindle which passes through the lock and moves the latches/bolts.

I've never seen a lock with an offset spindle hole, but if you call in to your nearest DG window supplier they might be able to help.

Check google maps for upvc window suppliers or makers
One day it will all be firewood.
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

you need to think off security with an operating handle on the outside you will need a lock and give everyone a key or some other way off securing the door when not in use on the inside so negating the ability to get in from the outside
we are all ------------------still learning
petedln
Newly registered Member

Post by petedln »

The operating handle is already on the outside, I want to add one on the inside. Security isn't an issue as there is a locked iron, gated door immediately behind it.

Yeah, something with an offset spindle, like a Z shape or something was what I was hoping someone was going tell me was available. I tried Googling for something similar but no luck but I don't know any terminology etc. and figured it was a bit niche so thought there might be a locksmith or something on here who knew better.

Return to “General DIY forum”