Concrete shed base

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

Blakey

Concrete shed base

Post by Blakey »

Hi all
I am looking to buy a 12x10 shed, and want to sit it on a concrete base, and need a bit of advice.
What size should the base be to accommodate the shed.?
What thickness should the base be, only being used for storage of garden tools and furniture?
Will it need strengthening bars?
And any other advice/tips that you think might help me.

Thanks in advance for all/any advice

Blakey
You're never too old to learn something stupid.
ahfix

Concrete shed base

Post by ahfix »

I'm not a fan of concrete bases .. I prefer the building on piers. Less hassle and less cost.

What ever you go for the base should foot print should be slightly shorter than the shed to prevent water run off. At a guess and dependent on construction of the shed, 50mm.

ah
These users thanked the author ahfix for the post:
Blakey (Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:34 am)
Rating: 7.14%
Blakey

Concrete shed base

Post by Blakey »

Hi ah,
Thanks for reply, excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by piers?, I’m all in favour of saving money and time, the shed I am replacing was put on decking which has all rotted, so thought concrete was the way to go, the boss has picked a 12 x 10 Dutch barn shed, the company supplying it want £1400 to do the concrete base which is more than the price of the shed.
You're never too old to learn something stupid.
dewaltdisney

Concrete shed base

Post by dewaltdisney »

Get a quote from a local mix and lay firm, they do these jobs all the time and have a competitive price. Generally, a shed base is a 4" slab. I reckon it will still be £7 a square foot laid which is still £840. I lay the wooden shed base bearers on a damp course strip and this protects them, a roll is about £4. I laid my shed on slabs 20 years ago, still good.

DWD

I had a further thought on this and wonder if the plastic grid system you fill with gravel for car standings would be a cheaper solution. the plastic grids are cheap off eBay and itwould help with draining at the edges. See https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Drivewa ... m/p/222130
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
Blakey (Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:22 pm)
ahfix

Concrete shed base

Post by ahfix »

base.png.jpg
base.png.jpg (57.85 KiB) Viewed 793 times
Here is an example online.

I built my 10x8 shed on concrete blocks. I dug holes and tamped down 4" hardcore, mortar bed and then a concrete block. I also made a donut of mortar around each block at ground level. Slabs are also OK.

I plan to build a 12x12 the same way.

ah
These users thanked the author ahfix for the post:
Blakey (Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:58 pm)

Return to “General DIY forum”