Rats! How to stop them?

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

Argyll

Rats! How to stop them?

Post by Argyll »

I visited a house the other day that had a rat problem. The pest control guy had visited a week ago and put poison down and told the homeowner that should deal with the rats. Now the homeowner wants some holes sealed up. Most of the holes are in plasterboard walls which from experience I know won't stop rats coming through. I've seen rats bury through concrete! The pest control guy told him to use some type of mesh that apparently looks like a brillo pad. I've no idea what he's talking about. Any ideas?
Someone-Else

Rats! How to stop them?

Post by Someone-Else »

Yep, steel wool. (Seen a pest controller on "Life of grime" say it's a good thing to do.) But like you said, plasterboard is no problem, but then if you don't kill them there will be more.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
kellys_eye

Rats! How to stop them?

Post by kellys_eye »

I would suspect that a form of aluminium-foil brillo pad would deter anything from gnawing it - ever chewed a piece of tin foil? Never seen such a product myself but it is available:

https://metallic-wool.co.uk/stainless-4 ... inium.html
Don't take it personally......
Chop

Rats! How to stop them?

Post by Chop »

Rats need food, shelter and water, if you can take away one of those you're getting there.

Steel wool wont stop them but I have read that copper wool will apparently. It gets stuck in their teeth making it harder for them to chew.

We've been rat proofing this week and found they were coming up from the disused toilets. Not any more cos theres 10 inch of concrete in the pan now.
:thumbleft:

The Barman says, "I'm sorry, we don't serve time travellers". This time traveller walks into a bar.
Someone-Else

Rats! How to stop them?

Post by Someone-Else »

Chop wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:36 amSteel wool wont stop them but I have read that copper wool will
Was that was said by someone who sells copper wool?

The bloke on life of grime went on to say, it doesn't stop them, but they can't eat it and if they try it sticks inside their mouth, just like us getting a splinter. (But worse) I suspect the copper wool idea comes from the fact that steel wool will rust, and copper doesn't. But by the time it rusts, it will have done its job.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)

Return to “General DIY forum”