roofing for hot tub shelter

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

dont forget you need a gutter
caravan72

Post by caravan72 »

big-all wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:17 pm dont forget you need a gutter
Yes All, I will fit one on the angle part which will be the entrance but I don't think you get offset couplings to return it to the other run off part, may have to fashion something.
Great advice here....
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

I know you've moved away from oduline ( there's a similar product called coroline which is very slightly different profile) but i would say that it works better if the roof is covered with ply first. I've come across a couple of jobs where the sheets have sagged over time. Even a sheet of 1\4" ply solves that problem.
One other thing concerns a guy i work for who has a hot tub. He has a roof over it , metal on 8 metal legs. The tub had developed a leak which meant it needed upending . The legs are fitted in such a way as to allow 2 to be removed to drag the tub out from under the shelter.
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

Have you considered shingles? They look really nice.
caravan72

Post by caravan72 »

Hi again, not sure if the shingle option would suit the pitch as it will be quite shallow, as for dealing with leaks I would have to drain and partially deflate it to deal with leaks so the opening I have would be sufficient to get it out. I'm going for the metal it has a 980 mm cover so I'll build it to take 3 sheets wide.
Thanks for the input.
caravan72

Post by caravan72 »

Correction.....wife is not pleased at all with my choice of metal roofing, she wants the same as the neighbour, clear roofing but I'm not confident at all cutting it, if I thought I could using a tenon or fine toothed panel saw I might have given it a try, using a power tool to cut it makes me nervous and so is the wife!
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

Also using a power tool would perhaps cause the plastic to melt through the rather than cut leaving a poor finish. An old saw would do the trick.

Return to “General DIY forum”