Wall/ceiling join area repair

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

kevin93429
Newly registered Member

Post by kevin93429 »

This has been exposed after removing wood chip wall paper.

The plaster at the top of the wall, has previously been repaired. The wall and the ceiling will be re-plastered. However, my question is; is it a good idea to remove the loose plaster and fill it before re-plastering over it, or remove the loose plaster and have it re-filled with the new re-plastering in one go, as it were?
wall ceiling join.jpg
wall ceiling join.jpg (94.76 KiB) Viewed 1191 times
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

Are you replastering ceiling and walls?

If there is crumbling or hollow plaster I would be inclined to knock it off (be careful that everything does not come off). Once you know the depth of what comes off, ask your plasterer. He could fill and skim coat but he will have to be prepared for it or you fill and then he skim coats.
These users thanked the author OchAye for the post:
kevin93429 (Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:11 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Or you could cove the ceiling instead to give a neat finish.

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post (total 2):
OchAye (Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:23 pm) • kevin93429 (Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:12 pm)
Rating: 14.29%
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

dewaltdisney wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:52 pm Or you could cove the ceiling instead to give a neat finish.
I no longer suggest that to anyone I know. I have been told it is old fashioned (just like me then).
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

It will fit in well with the Op's Artex then :thumbright:

DWD
kevin93429
Newly registered Member

Post by kevin93429 »

Thanks for the replies. I'll not be going with coving, and the artex will be plastered over!!

The wall will be plastered and then skimmed. I'll def remove all loose plaster, though I'm not sure if it's better to fill, then have it plastered and skimmed or have the plasterer fill it with the plaster he is using any way before the skim.
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

kevin93429 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:11 pm The wall will be plastered and then skimmed. I'll def remove all loose plaster, though I'm not sure if it's better to fill, then have it plastered and skimmed or have the plasterer fill it with the plaster he is using any way before the skim.
The plasterer could do both. I mentioned earlier you should talk to him/her [politically correct day today]. If you remove the plaster down to brick you may have an additional depth of 10mm+, finishing plaster cannot be used to cover that depth, multifinish plaster can do both give or take it depends on the depth. Your plasterer could use some of the plaster they put as a first coat (hardwall?) then continue with the skimming plaster.

Try a patch of crumbling plaster, remove it and see what you got. Find your plasterer, let him see the job, and arrange for the job to start when you have finished the demolition.

I am not a plasterer :thumbleft:

PS. If the plasterer fills missing plaster, you will have to allow considerably longer for the stuff to dry than if it is a simple skimming coat. Just in case you get painting and then ask why is the paint coming off.
These users thanked the author OchAye for the post:
kevin93429 (Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:23 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
kevin93429
Newly registered Member

Post by kevin93429 »

Thanks OchAye.

Return to “General DIY forum”