unbearably cold room & now mould

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

daveyjkenny
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by daveyjkenny »

Hi,

We live in a 1970's detached house with an extension (25+ years old). The extension room is a bedroom and in Winter is shockingly cold. I mean really really cold that we can't allow anyone to sleep in there. It has an ensuite and the entire space has two radiators. The walls are cold to touch.

Initially I wanted to ask which kind of company would be best to assess why it's so cold, but today I found some mould that can be wiped away, in one of the corners - about the size of bedside table. I assume this is connected to the cold?

I do know that 2 years ago the former owners renovated the ensuite from some kind of wet room to a separate shower room + sink. Could they have done/not done something that could have unbalanced the air flow perhaps. There are tell tale signs of cavity wall insulation and we definitely have roof insulation. So far, the only idea I have is to have international wall insulation applied, but that was before finding the mould.

Can anyone help please before Winter ruins our home?!

Dave - Southport (Merseyside/Lancashire).
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

I am NOT an expert but if the room is cold what source of heat is there in the room?
You did mention radiators, but do they work?
If you seal a box the air will condensate eventually, so you need a free flow of air, so what ventilation is there?

Another thing to check is the guttering, is there any? have you looked into it? (Literally)
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
daveyjkenny
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by daveyjkenny »

thank you for the reply,

Yeah there are two radiators, both of which work fine and are as hot as the other radiators in the house. I was thinking the same about free flowing air but we do have one of the windows open regularly over summer.

haha well our guttering does need some cleaning (nothing major), but where the mould is located is actually near a flat roof which may need looking at. Thank you!

Return to “General DIY forum”