DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:39 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:27 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi,

I've a (3 year old) Vaillant ecoTEC plus 637, and was unaware of any issues until I discovered that we weren't using any gas in the house. I checked the boiler (the only device that uses gas), and discovered that the control display isn't showing the tap symbol in the bottom-left box (which should be next to the radiator symbol on the bottom-right box):

Since we've had hot water to taps/showers during that time, then it must be being generated by the immersion heater in the HW cylinder.

There's a related thread at http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/forum1/no-hot-water-from-unvented-cyclinder-t89211.html, but my situation isn't quite the same. We don't have the complexity of 3 zones: all we have are radiators, and hot water to a HW cylinder. There's no sign of a VR61 in our system, but there's a cable connection from the cylinder thermostat (which feeds up under the bottom of the boiler, I assume it connects into the boiler somwehere).

I've been able to trigger the boiler to feed hot water to the radiators, and this works fine. I've also power cycled the boiler, but to no avail.

If this is beyond my ability to fix it (I'm a novice here), then I'm hoping to at least learn enough to point a heating engineer in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:35 pm 

Unless you have a Vaillant hot water cylinder and a Vaillant controller that includes a vr66 or similar, I wouldn’t expect a hot water symbol to appear as the boiler won’t know whether it’s supplying heating or hot water.

Has it ever done so?

I would be checking the 2 port zone valve that controls the hot water first. It could also be that the immersion has heated the water up to a higher temperature than the cylinder thermostat is set for.

You need to carry out further checks. Turn your immersion off and run a bath to see if it cuts in as the hot water cylinder is depleted of hot water.

www.drlgas.co.uk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:58 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for the advice. I turned off the immersion heater, ran the hot water until it went cold, and a couple of hours later we had hot water again; so clearly the boiler will feed hot water to the HT cylinder.

In terms of a root cause (of why the immersion heater has been generating all our hot water for over a month): your mention of the cylinder thermostat made me check its setting, and I've discovered it was set to 51C -- does this look like a likely root cause? FWIW, I've now increased the cylinder thermostat to 60C, which the internet suggests is the minimum temperature recommended to kill off harmful bacteria.

Thanks again!

Colin.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:39 am 

Yes, it didn't sound as though anything was faulty to me when initially reading your post.

I wouldn't necessarily say 60c is the minimum temperature to set the the cylinder thermostat to, but it is what I would call the optimum.

Any higher and scale will form a lot quicker but going too low, 40-45c, will promote the growth of any bugs if they happen to be in the water.

I believe at 60c bugs are killed off in around an hour. The higher the temperature the faster they are killed, hence why commercial set ups such as nursing homes etc usually have a weekly cycle of heating the cylinders up to around 90c for a short while to make sure the water is kept bug free and safe.

If needs be you could drop the stat to 55c that's still ok. The water will always be hotter in the top of the cylinder than what is set on the stat as the stat is low down.

If you don't have a Vaillant cylinder, then turn the HW stat on the boiler to its lowest setting as it won't be doing anything anyway and helps stop future confusion.

www.drlgas.co.uk

For this message the author gas4you has received gratitude : abitdiy