DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:22 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:07 pm 
Newly registered Member

I have been very satisfied with this boiler, was installed in 2007. I had it serviced in 2008. 2009, 2010 then not until 2017. In early 2017 I thought the water pressure was a little low (if I had remembered I could press the button to determine the water pressure, I would not have topped the pressure up). The co. I use kindly reminded me how to top up the water pressure. The tap on the right was very very stiff and I had all on to turn it. I managed to do it and topped up the water pressure (but it didnt really need topping up at all, I just thought it did).

After that, the water pressure starting rising and the co. helped me by explaining to drain some water through a radiator valve. The water pressure steadily rose and I drained it off to 1.0. The highest it went up to was 1.6. At the end of May the water pressure stayed at 1.0 and sometimes it was 0.9 and sometimes it was flashing between 1.0 and 0.9.

When the co. came to service the boiler in March this year, there was signs of a leak inside and a new pipe was required. When the pipe arrived, the boiler was serviced, the new pipe fitted and a new graphite seal. The co. said to keep an eye on the water pressure. They were a bit baffled why it was going up etc.

I have not had the heating on since March or used the hot water. I am getting ready to have the heating on soon and the water pressure is 0.9. My boiler on a regular basis, turns itself over and I can hear it but just recently, I havent heard it do that. I am concerned that my boiler may not work because of the water pressure being 0.9.

I have been trying to contact the plumber at the co. this week but I think they are very very busy at the moment and he hasnt got back to me. I am a bit nervous of putting my heating on and wondered what your thoughts are please.

(I did send the co./plumber a letter giving details of how the water pressure has behaved this year and he replied saying I am safe to put the heating on as long as I still take water out on the odd occasion. He has been a bit puzzled why the water pressure has been going up and explained there are 2 taps to raise the water pressure now, whereas at one time, there was only 1 tap. The 2 taps were installed to avoid water passing through, raising the water pressure. He said he could disconnect the loop to see if 1 of the taps isnt turning off properly but said it was unlikely both taps were leaking. He also did a sketch of the heat exchanger, explaining that there could be a tiny hole in the bottom part where the hot water is warmed up).

(I did ring the co. on Friday and the lady who answers the phone, when I told her I havent had the boiler on since March, said that a boiler is better used than not - that has worried me a bit).

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:33 am 

0.9bar is no problem at all.

If if drops to 0.3 bar then the boiler should cut out displaying F22.

The boiler needs to be drained and the pressure checked in the expansion vessel first off. Also whilst the boiler is drained, check the digital readout actually reads 0.0. If not a new pressure sensor is needed.

The pressure will rise by around 0.5bar when the heating is on, that's normal, if it rises to 2.5bar or higher from 0.9 then definitely check expansion vessel.

Pressure rising for no apparent reason can be the filling loop valves letting by, common on these boilers, or a pin hole in the plate heat exchanger, possible but quite rare.

www.drlgas.co.uk

For this message the author gas4you has received gratitude : multiman
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:45 am 

Just an extra point from a layman but it might be relevant. The plastic knobs to turn the top up water tap can round off on the square valve peg and you think that the water is off but it is still letting by. It might be an idea to pull the tap knob off and use some adjustables to check the valve is shut.

DWD

For this message the author dewaltdisney has received thanks - 2: gas4you, multiman
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:29 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thank you very much for your helpful replies. I still havent put the heating on but it is certainly chilly in here even though it has been a lovely sunny day.

Can you throw some light on what it is when I hear the rumbling noise when the boiler turns over, I have been looking in my manuals but cannot find anything. Whatever it is, it hasnt been doing it for the last few days.

It usually does the turn over a few times a day so I am wondering why it isnt doing that now?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:35 pm 

Have you turned the HW preheat off?

If it’s on there will be a ‘c’ at the bottom of the display.

www.drlgas.co.uk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:14 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thank you for your reply.

I have just had a look at the display and all it says "20 degrees C". The only thing I touch, is the button that gives me the number of the water pressure. Could I have caught something else when I have gone to touch the button? I havent physically switched anything off.

I have had a look at the 2 dials, the top is set at 12 minutes past and the bottom one is set at 10 minutes past, if that makes sense?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:21 pm 

When you turn any or each dial the display changes to the temperature you are setting it to/want.

As a basic starting point I always set HW to 55 and Ch to 65.

If there is a ‘c’ in the display, you have hw preheat on. No real need in 99% of cases these days and just wastes gas.

To turn it off, turn the top hw temp dial fully anti clockwise and leave there for about 3 seconds. The ‘c’ will then disappear.

To turn it on again, turn the Haw dial to fully clockwise, max, for about 3 seconds and the ‘c’ will appear.

www.drlgas.co.uk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:23 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hello again, I have heard the boiler do whatever it is that it does, this morning about 9.30am so at least I know the boiler is alive. Going to put it on tonight - fingers crossed and thanks a lot - best wishes.