Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:48 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:04 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi any help would be appreciated please as my neighbours have started work on a Dormer conversion and something doesn't feel right so if anyone with knowledge could help me please before time runs out .
My neighbour has started a loft conversion. It is a semi detached so we share a chimney.
He approached me once the work had started ( I had been on holiday ) and informed me that there would be some noise etc and to please be patient for an while.
He then suggested that the front and rear chimney ( we share ) be knocked out from the roof as it would create more space and if I have a dormer in the future I could knock my stack out from the front and rear chimneys without worrying about the stack on the roof as he would get it removed and fix my roof with his builders. I was apprehensive of this as I wasn't sure how much stock I could put in his builders and they may botch the repair ( possible leaks in future etc) so I pretty much refused . He said that was okay and he would just put support for his roof chimney stack in the attic once he knocks out the pillar in the attic.
He also explained the the dormer would be all the way to my wall ( so no gap between his dormer and my attic and he said in future I could just join my dormer to his if I decide to do the same. He also said the rear dormer would be flush with the back of the house. I am no expert but normally when I see dormers occasionally - there is a gap between the bottom of the dormer window with a line or two of tiles after the dormer window and then the gutter. I mentioned this then he said he would look at his plans as he was not sure.
I also mentioned that building regs should be involved to certify the work ( I am guessing he would do that as he his spending 20k plus ? ) and he said there would be inspectors from the council visiting throughout stages of the build and then would verify the structure at the end of the build.
My question is, is it okay for his dormer to join on to our shared wall, he also he suggested I could build my dormer onto this wall also should I want in the future.
Is it also illegal for a dormer to be flush with the back wall of his house ( like a wedge added on the back of his house - a flat roof and flat back ) I have seen this once or twice in the past but I am not sure if this is legal or not?
And something else that has really riled me up and I will attach pictures ( please ignore the chimney stack bricks missing that old - its on the left side lower down that a few bricks are missing and a faint girder can be seen behind ) but I went into the attic today and found a good amount of bricks missing from our shared wall so now I can see into there attic somewhat . I have no idea why this was done and will be speaking to them tomorrow as i am sure all attics are 2 bricks wide so why the hell would they remove bricks from my side as surely they cant remove bricks from my side of the shared wall ( could they be planning to put a support of some sort in the gaps ) ? and I can see a girder in picture 1 behind the wall where few bricks are missing . Are these guys up to no good ? if someone could please help me as I have no idea why they would be removing bricks from the shared wall in the attic
Is there any other things for me to look out for while this dormer is being built as something doesn't feel right and he is trying to get the work done very quickly

please click on url for image as I cant seem to add it to this page sorry
https://ibb.co/dpdq18

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:45 am 

Here is you picture.

Just saying................
If I go into my roof space I can "see" into my neighbours roof space*. There is a dividing wall, but it is only 1 brick wide, not as you think 2 bricks wide.

* I can easily tell if he has the light on in his roof space as there is the odd "bit of brick" missing from the dividing wall. I believe the wall is there more to stop fire than for structural reasons

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:36 am 

My advice is to contact the Council building control and say that you are in fear that work being carried out is affecting the structural integrity of the party wall and your home. This will achieve two things, firstly that the proper notifiable building works application is in place and approved and secondly the BC should give you some reassurance on works as that they have allegedly been checking.

If he has gone ahead without approval he will be stopped and have to apply for approval and put right any dangerous defects.

Give them a ring Monday. It is their job to protect the public in instances like this.

DWD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:37 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi,

They are able to build right up to their side of a shared boundary. However, you may wish to read up on the Party Wall Act in respect of that.

Regarding the dormer being flush with the eaves, this is generally not considered to be permitted development as the General Permitted Development Order states the following in respect of additions to a roof:

“the edge of the enlargement closest to the eaves of the original roof is, so far as practicable, not less than 0.2 metres from the eaves, measured along the roof slope from the outside edge of the eaves;”

They may need planning permission for the dormer if they don’t have it already.

Kind regards

FTB

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:40 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks some very good advice it seems the main thing I need to do first is notify building control ( if he hasn't already)
lets say the attic was only 1 brick wide would anyone know why some bricks have been removed could it be to put some sort of structural support (i.e joists , beams does anyone know as I am confused and he seems to not know either ( or playing dumb) . Also is this something that is normal practice if the wall is one brick wide to put beams across for his conversion or should he be building another wall on his side to put structural beams support etc for his attic .