DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIRECTORY | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:27 am

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:45 pm 
Newly registered Member

When central heating is on the upstairs radiators are only lukewarm at best. The downstairs rads are all piping hot. The upstairs rads are in general warmer at top. The last rad on the system upstair is the coldest. I've checked the TRV and seems to be OK. I've bled the rad and water comes out as does air. I've bled it several times and air as well as water still comes out and it has not warmed up. I turned off the valves on all other rads and the last rad upstairs was piping hot. When I turned on the valves on the other rads the heat left the last rad. The system is old. The boiler is a Baxi WM 51/3RS. Last winter the pump packed in and a new one was fitted (WILO gold R550). The plumber checked all the rads etc and everything seemedd to be OK. This currnet problem has been apparent for a while. I've read various posts and tried a couple of things (see above) but nothing has changed. Any ideas?

You may not be able to see the full post including pictures unless you register or log in

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:35 pm 

Balance the system using the lockshield valves until all radiators are the temperature you need.

There is a technical method for this, measuring the temperature difference between inlet and outlets, but I just use my sensitive pinkies!

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:43 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks John

Tried to balance radiators but still could not get last radiator on the line to fully heat up. Some of the upstairs radiators have marginally improved though. I'll have another bash to see if I can get all the radiators balanced.

Garry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:51 pm 

keep trying, i done mine and it made a great difference.

i used the tech method and set it for a 10deg drop across flow/return on all rads.

it does take a long time to do though, i done one or two rads per day, i was also able to turn the pump down a notch.

give it another go, it may work.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]