DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:57 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:31 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hello Folks.

I have pretty much concluded that I need to replace a Honeywell 2 way actuator valve (22mm) due to electric/electronic fault, but thought I would take some advice from the good folks here.

We have an immersion tank that is heated by both electric element and by the Camray oil heating boiler.

Long story, but now that the heating stays off (due to ambient temperatures), we find that we have no hot water if the electric element is also switched off.

The programmer is set to call for Hot Water at all times, but the boiler never fires unless the stat calls for CH.

There is a 2 way actuator valve on the Feed pipe into the immersion tank (2 ports marked Feed and Return - presumably each end of the coil).

The lever on the 2 way actuator valve is 'floppy' - and I suspect that these valves fail to open, so I don't think that the valve is stuck closed.
I tried moving the level all the way across to manual and the boiler still does not fire.

If we heat the hot water in the immersion tank using the electric element, the Feed pipe gets hot on both sides of the 2 way valve, indicating that the heat is transferring past the valve using the water contained inside?

Based on the above I am assuming that this is an electric/electronic fault and the vavle is not sending s signal to the boiler to tell it that the valve is Open.

I would rather not have to drain down the central heating system to replace the whole valve, but can source a complete valve from Screwfix or Toolstation and try swapping the top piece over to eliminate say a failed relay.

Does this sound like a sensible way to proceed?

Regards
Steve O.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:19 pm 

If the valve is definitely fully open and the lever is floppy enough to move the entire width of the valve head, then the micro switch has broken in the head

www.drlgas.co.uk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:01 pm 
Newly registered Member

gas4you wrote:
If the valve is definitely fully open and the lever is floppy enough to move the entire width of the valve head, then the micro switch has broken in the head

Thanks Dave - that was my deduction.

Now it seems I have to make sure that I have the newer type valve that allows removal of just the head with 2 screws rather than the older 4 screw version that doesn't.

Bit confused by the Honeywell description of 2 types of 2 way valves that suggests that 1 fails open and the other fails shut.
Description suggests that the one that fails open has no lever yet they use a photo of a valve with a lever.

Steve O.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:04 pm 

Dave will correct me if I'm wrong but the Honeywell V4043B is a normally open valve and is used in Solid Fuel systems as it will fail safe in the open position.
The V4043H is a normally closed valve and is the one that you should have fitted to your system.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:03 am 

If the valve has a dimple on the top at one end, then the head can be replaced on its own.

www.drlgas.co.uk