DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:58 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Unsafe Scaffolding.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:23 pm 

I had been asked to help on a roofing project and this was the scaffolding set up.

I might add I was also asked to work of this scaffolding for fix in position roof rafters which are being lowered down by a Crane.

It would be interesting to her other peoples opinions and views on the photos of scaffolding below.
Also it be interesting to hear of what would happen from a fall from unsafe scaffolding. Would any face prosecution?
Attachment:
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 135.63 KiB | Viewed 2817 times ]

Attachment:
7.jpg
7.jpg [ 80.6 KiB | Viewed 2817 times ]

Attachment:
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 66.96 KiB | Viewed 2817 times ]

Attachment:
4.jpg
4.jpg [ 60.73 KiB | Viewed 2817 times ]

Attachment:
3.jpg
3.jpg [ 89.69 KiB | Viewed 2817 times ]

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Unsafe Scaffolding.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:44 pm 

To answer the last question first, if your daft enough to use it then more fool you.

No Hand rail.
No kick board.
Trip hazards.
Ladder not fixed.
No outriggers to tower.
Tower not assembled correctly.
No diagonal braces.
And no safety certificate.

Would any face prosecution ?
You could guarantee it if there was an accident, assuming it was still there by the time anyone called to investigate.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:08 pm 

thescruff wrote:
No Hand rail.
No kick board.
Trip hazards.
Ladder not fixed.
No outriggers to tower.
Tower not assembled correctly.
No diagonal braces.
And no safety certificate.

You can add to that:

No scaffolding tags (certificate of inspection by a certified competent person), but then...

Scaffolding tower of obsolete and unapproved type. In any case that stuff is scaffolding tower section, NOT proper scaffolding which is what is required to be used for long runs. So it's use would be deemed in contravention by the HSE

As The Scruff says, not braced. Also a long run like that is supposed to be fixed to the building if at all possible to prevent it being jacked away from the building or blown over by the wind

Scaffold planks not secured with scaffolding clips - but then it's not the right type of scaffolding, so why would it be?

I have my doubts that a puny little scaffolding tower like that is capable of supporting the weight of an substantial quantity of roofing tiles or materials.

You might also add, no gate at the top of the ladder, but since there is no hand rail or middle rail that's hardly going to happen, is it?

Go up on that at your own risk. Have an accident and your insurers will undoubtedly reduce your payout substantially because you were fool enough to knowingly place yourself in danger (assuming, of course that you are a "competent person", i.e. qualified or experienced). You may also find that in the event of an accident the main contractor's insurance doesn't pay out because they are in flagrant breach of the law, leaving you to sue them personally.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:15 pm 

I've worked off much worse than that tbh. On a roof that size and that height off the deck we rarely use scaffold,it's down to yourself on how safe you work and if you aren't comfy working on that then 100% don't do it.
The thing is we tend to construct and felt the roofs of that size in one day so it's really expensive to get scaffolders in and erect a scaffold for a day's work for the joiners and a day's work for the roofer.
This is on residential builds/extensions I may add,that would never be allowed on a commercial site.
You are your own safety officer at the end of the day,if you don't feel safe doing something don't do it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:36 pm 

steviejoiner74 wrote:
You are your own safety officer at the end of the day,if you don't feel safe doing something don't do it.

This sums up every work/DIY project. Use a bit of common sense.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:27 pm 

I would add that the boards under the feet are not sufficiently sized on what looks like wet grass and mud.

If someone helps then thank the helper and also check out UHM's Nominated charity - http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

For this message the author nick200 has received gratitude : wine~o
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:50 pm 

worked on equally bad stuff in the past like. not as long a run though.

we get scaffolds built by a scaffold company and dont get any scaff tags put on em. only time ive worked on stuff with scaff tags has been at shipyards and the like.

the so called propper scaff companies would charge maybe 4 times what the company we use charge.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:15 pm 

Of your working for a company and they've supplied that I'd be walking

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:37 pm 

fin wrote:
we get scaffolds built by a scaffold company and dont get any scaff tags put on em. only time ive worked on stuff with scaff tags has been at shipyards and the like.

the so called propper scaff companies would charge maybe 4 times what the company we use charge.

I tend to work on very obvious stuff, like city centre shops, etc and there's no escaping the HSE or the councils H&S inspectors when you are working across the road from their offices, or next door to Marks and Sparks. That means we invariably get a visit at some point in the job, even if they normally can't ticket us because we're off and away before the paper chain spits out a letter. Still makes you kind of wary about what you can get away with, if you know what I mean

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:53 pm 

yea we work on houses mainly.

we once a while ago put some trussed rafter roofs on a row of shops which had old flat roofs. fairly busy area so had to be propper scaffold. the bloke from the town hall came out to inspect it. he was called derek tickle. the scaffold company owner kept calling him mr tickler. in the end he stormed off like this :cussing: :cussing: as he was sick of being called mr tickler haha..... :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: its tickle :lol: