DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:53 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:59 am 

Hi All
What insulation do you recommend for ground floor suspension wooden floor joist, where there is void and it is ventilated by air brick both side of the house.

I will be insulating from underneath the floor boards, so I will be crawling to do the insulation.

I have used existing celotex on the front bay window area where I had some left over from another job.

But celotex is going to be expensive for the rest of the floor area, so I was thinking of using either loft insulation roll , Glass fibre, mineral wool, earthwool or Rockwool insulation slab called Rockwool Flexi.

Celotex and Kingspan will be to costly and all the joist are over 50- 100yrs and the width of the size are different 350mm, 390mm, 450mm and some of the joist are not the same width ,as the go narrow or bigger by 3-4cm.

What would you guys recommend or use ,as I just want in the winter to keep the feet warm.

We do have cloud 9 underlay and 100% wool carpet installed 14 years ago, but still feel the cold feet in winter and we have to wear socks and warm indoor slippers and due to arthritis on ankle does not help.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:26 am 

caretaker wrote:
Hi All
What insulation do you recommend for ground floor suspension wooden floor joist, where there is void and it is ventilated by air brick both side of the house.

I will be insulating from underneath the floor boards, so I will be crawling to do the insulation.

I have used existing celotex on the front bay window area where I had some left over from another job.

But celotex is going to be expensive for the rest of the floor area, so I was thinking of using either loft insulation roll , Glass fibre, mineral wool, earthwool or Rockwool insulation slab called Rockwool Flexi.

Celotex and Kingspan will be to costly and all the joist are over 50- 100yrs and the width of the size are different 350mm, 390mm, 450mm and some of the joist are not the same width ,as the go narrow or bigger by 3-4cm.

What would you guys recommend or use ,as I just want in the winter to keep the feet warm.

We do have cloud 9 underlay and 100% wool carpet installed 14 years ago, but still feel the cold feet in winter and we have to wear socks and warm indoor slippers and due to arthritis on ankle does not help.
Attachment:
IMG_6108.JPG
IMG_6108.JPG [ 157.88 KiB | Viewed 242 times ]
Attachment:
IMG_6109.JPG
IMG_6109.JPG [ 129.88 KiB | Viewed 242 times ]
Attachment:
IMG_6110.JPG
IMG_6110.JPG [ 102.41 KiB | Viewed 242 times ]

Hi All,
I am getting these roll at a bargain price on Gumtree for £8.33 a roll and he has 2 thickness sizes 90mm and 160mm and I will go for 160mm , as I can slightly press it in , as some joist are 110-120mm depth, so I am sure I will be able to press 40-50mm in to the joist.

What do you advise.

Many thanks for looking into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:24 pm 

push that up between the joists and staple chicken wire over to hold it in place.

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:50 pm 

I did mine with a combination of celotex and mineral wool and fitted it from underneath and used a combination for no other reason than I had accumulated it for nothing. I doubt there's much difference in performance but the celotex was certainly "nicer" to fit if that word can be used to describe such a horrrible job. Masks and goggles are certainly worthwhile having . One advantage of the mineral wool is for those awkward areas where there are pipes and whatever that make cutting celotex a pain.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:00 pm 

Remember compressing glass wool actually reduces its insulation value. If the depth of the joist is 100mm then use 100mm wool.
You can get netlon to hold the insulation in place,it simply staples onto the joist and is in a large roll that’s light and easy to handle.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:17 am 

Hi Steve,
Thank you for your reply and the reason I went for 160mm it will not do any harm in pressing in , as I do get your message it reduces the value, which I can accept and I and the choice either 90mm or 160mm, as they had both rolls for sale. I took the 160mm and by the time I lay it between the joist , I think the 160mm will not be more noticeable,as it will fit it the depth and if it does stick out, It it will be 20-30mm or may be nothing.

I was going to buy the net to apply underneath the insulation by stapling to the joist.

Hi Grendal,
Thank you for your reply and Celotex is nicer to fit, but when joist measurements are all over the place and you have to use the surformer and the celotex dust is a pain and my Goggles keep getting dirty and steamed up , especially when you breathing from mask. True about when pipes, cables and when the joist connect to the sleeper wall you have to cut into shape or sometimes you have to cut it in the middle and fit it in 2 halves and it does take longer than fibreglass insulation. So this fibreglass will be quicker and come over the awkward shapes and cheaper than celotex and Kingspan Pir boards.
I am doing the job on my own ,so it does get difficult and not good area to work and need plenty of lights, which I have 3 tubes lights to give better lighting.

I have put the rolls underfloor boards and will be doing at weekends, as mrs did not want them in the house and I injured my knee ligaments, so I am just recovering this week.

Thanks Wine o.