DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:42 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Typical luck.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:00 pm 

Hi,

After what seems never ending monsoons it's suddenly quit raining and the rare sun appeared. Wanting to sort out the best position in the car for my new dashcam I wandered into the garage and pulled the car out; first job was to wash the inside of the windscreen; our mains water supply is missing. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. :pukeleft: :pukeleft: :pukeleft:

Kind regards, Col.

SOME PEOPLE ARE SO POOR ALL THEY HAVE IS MONEY.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Typical luck.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:17 pm 

Water, water everywhere!
But not a drop from the tap! :roll:

There's a certain irony there Col after the amount we have had falling out of our various pet clouds over the last few months.
Is it going to be off for long?

For this message the author Dave54 has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:47 pm 

Another few weeks and there will be a hosepipe ban!

For this message the author Timllfixit has received thanks - 2: Dave54, Retired
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:31 pm 

Hi,

Thanks Dave54; the water is still off and no clue as to when it will be restored; perhaps some fool at the water board forgot to put the plug into our reservoir again? :cb

C'mon Timllfixit; the sun is so rare here that an hour after it appeared the hosepipe ban wasn't enough; the lot is turned off. ::b ::b ::b

I'm only 68 so there is yet chance for my luck to change for the better. I managed to mount the new camera near the rear view mirror and thought I'd pop up to our local post office in Lepton to post a greetings card. HUGE MISTAKE. What fun just to post a card; I could of course left the car at home but I'm not a mountaineer. Roadworks on the lane with parked cars blocking traffic; cars parked on a blind bend; running the gauntlet past the cars at the school and the usual car pulling out in front of me. After successfully posting the card I decided to return down Station Road in Lepton only to hit another school; this problem though is typical of so many schools and how cars are parked.

It's not all doom and gloom though because the camera is brilliant. :huray:

Kind regards, Col.

For this message the author Retired has received gratitude : Dave54
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:10 pm 

Nice video Col, thanks for that. I'm going to get one of those same cameras to replace my nasty cheap one as soon as my arms get long enough to reach the money in my pockets. :lol:

I see that you suffer from the same things that we do down here.
Road works :roll:
And rows and rows of parked cars making the roads practically "single track" in a lot of places.

I saw your biker reflexes come into play with the inevitable "every time you go out" idiot who pulls out on you. :thumbright:

The only difference I can see is that you don't appear to have many large 4WD tractors driven by teenagers talking on the phone up there.

For this message the author Dave54 has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:15 pm 

Col... we definitely need you to switch the microphone on so we can hear you saying *Oh how very inconsiderate of that motorist"

and " I'm sure he could have anticipated that"

As opposed to my "What a fecking dickhead" or *Wank3r* commentary... :salute:

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

For this message the author wine~o has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:38 pm 

Hi,

Thanks Dave54; I can thank wine~o for putting me on to this excellent camera. What separates me from many motorists is that I'm always ready to brake unlike many motorists around here who don't appear to know what a brake pedal is? My biker reflexes are still with me and I'm fully alert each time I go out in the car. We too suffer the drivers having little control or knowing the size of their 4WD tractors; driving past our schools is a real nightmare; kids no longer have legs or feet?

Not in mixed company wine~o. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Still no mains water but its only been off for over seven hours; I've just enjoyed a trip out to our local store to buy bottled water which brought tears to my eyes and would you believe its raining; I've put the Monte away soaking wet as enough is enough. :pukeleft: :pukeleft: :pukeleft:

I bought extra water and have just been round to our lovely neighbour Carole with a bottle to be thanked but Carole had her Morrison's delivery this afternoon including a dozen big bottles of water. What have I ever done wrong? ::b ::b ::b

To echo you wine~o I wish whomever is watching over me would take a long hike never to return.

Kind regards, Col.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:49 pm 

Col.. did the water supplier warn you that the mains would be off ??

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consu ... er-supply/

Hmmm......

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

For this message the author wine~o has received gratitude : Dave54
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:06 pm 

When the water was off here for more than a few hours, they brought us bottled water, and there was a bowser up the road here as well. That was a few years back though.

We've been watching one or two of those videos that wine~o linked to a while back. Mrs Dave54 says that it sounds just like sitting next to me when I'm driving. :)

What amazes me, is that every time you go out in the car, someone will do something stupid to make you avoid them in some way. I might be getting old(er) and grumpy, but I don't remember it being as bad a few years back. I went to get a takeaway the other night. Three or four miles each way of rural roads and lanes. FOUR people on phones coming the other way during the journey. And all four were drifting about, and generally driving like the prats that they are.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:27 pm 

Dave54 wrote:

What amazes me, is that every time you go out in the car, someone will do something stupid to make you avoid them in some way. I might be getting old(er) and grumpy, but I don't remember it being as bad a few years back. I went to get a takeaway the other night. Three or four miles each way of rural roads and lanes. FOUR people on phones coming the other way during the journey. And all four were drifting about, and generally driving like the prats that they are.

And that is why you need a dashcam...

Verwood Handyman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:08 pm 

Hi,

Thanks for the link wine~o. No warning whatsoever about the water going off and its still off. We've seen a water board van come to the head of our cul de sac a couple of times but turn round and go away pretty quickly. I've not contacted either the workers or the water board thinking the water must come on shortly but its stopped raining again so perhaps they've run out of water? If I go out again it will surely pour down and I'll get another soaking? No bottled water and no bowser as yet offered.

I heard a rumour Dave54 that using a mobile phone whilst driving was illegal but I must have got it wrong? Many drivers should not be in charge of a cycle let alone a car; how many are drunk or on drugs and who is to stop them because the police don't seem to have any control whatsoever these days?

The water board van has just gone to the head of the cul de sac again so I've been out to get wet; the water is back on and running to clear the pipes; 10 hours without water all thanks to a sudden burst water main which blew the lane up. Time I did the washing up which has piled up since dinner time. :thumbleft:

What a day and I can't wait to see what joy is in store for us tomorrow. :pukeleft:

Kind regards, Col.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:16 pm 

Without wanting to sound like a Boy Scout or a doomer of some kind or even worse smug but I tend to keep several gallons of water as a standby or for "just in case" .

For this message the author Grendel has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:20 am 

Hi,

Thanks Grendel; fortunately our kettle was filled and Bron keeps a big jug of fresh water in the fridge; these usually suffice but yesterday was the exception having our water supply cut for ten hours. I've never liked storing drinking water for long lengths of time. If I get stuck I could always remove the lid from the kettle and stick the kettle out of a window to fill it the amount of rainfall we've enjoyed for month after month? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd much rather have our water supply cut off though which is just a nuisance than suffer flooding which has affected many homes causing serious distress and hardship to the flood victims. :cb

Today has started well because we've got water; gas and electricity. :huray:

Kind regards, Col.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:19 am 

Water is pretty much safe to store , keep it cool and dark and replace it every 12 months and there shouldn't be any problems. If there are any concerns it is possible to add a couple of drops of thin bleach to the water prior to storage , that will kill any nasties and keep it safe to drink.

For this message the author Grendel has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:48 pm 

Grendel wrote:
If there are any concerns it is possible to add a couple of drops of thin bleach to the water prior to storage , that will kill any nasties and keep it safe to drink.

Are you 100% sure about that?

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here