DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:14 pm

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:59 pm 
Pro Carpenter

as i was making up an order i decided to give woodspur screws from from axminster a comparason to turbo gold screws from screwfix

both screw have the slot at the point to self pilot
both screws have ribs under the head off the screw to self countersink
both screws are single thread
both screws are treated and hardened
the turbo gold have additional sort off ribs in the threads at right angles

now in a non scientific test i took a 4.5x50mm from both
screwed them both 3 times into end grain flush
then 3 times into the side off a 10mm thick x20mm deep bit off wood untill the head was touching the surface

now the turbo gold worked best by perhaps 5-10% easier to fully countersink the extra time and effort is fully the countersink
both screws as you might expect had slight grain separation when the thread appeared on the 10mm and when the the 10mm was screwed onto other timber the head countersink action did start to split the timber slightly more on the woodspur but less than a normal twin silver

any way the point is 3.5x30mm 4x35mm 4.5x40mm 4.5x50 from screwfix £22.22 the same from axminster £10.67

now i would never pay full price for turbo gold as the selection boxes and sets are often half price but for general stock up off the sizes not contained in the "boxes" axminster are far far better value and off course axminster do there own selection boxes with there own special discounts occasionally

so from now on my turbo gold boxes will gradually change to woodspur --wurbo gold --woobo gold --wood gold-- wood sold -- wood spld --wood spud -- :huray: :huray:

if you look at this link turbogold you will see uhms review and the additional ribs

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

For this message the author big-all has received thanks - 3: ghostrider, JohnKay, sweet
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:38 am 

Good to know,
I've been working my way though a case of GoldScrew froms crewfix for the last few years.
I've had to top up the 4x50mm and 5x50mm boxes, and bought a small box of a couple of extra small sizes for the odd jobs. (3.5x12mm 3.5x16mm, 3.5x20mm)

They're a big improvement over the cheap noname randomly sourced screws I used to use. I now generally avoid using the screws that come with things if a goldscrew will do the job, had too many cheese screw heads which waste hours unwinding them with a pair of pliers once the head knackers half way in.

Might give axminster a go next time I need a topup, although I won't need any 5x50mm for a while, I bought a big bucket a couple of months ago as I had a voucher and couldn't think of anyhing else I'd need :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:17 pm 
Pro Carpenter

i went through all the options

and came to the usual conclusions that mixed boxes on offer where by far the best value but not ideal for topping up

to be honest if a company keeps discounting something to half more than say 25% off the time they are overcharging 30-50%

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:00 pm 
Pro Carpenter

ok an update
as you might expect the gap has closed
as axminster are doing a £5/10 voucher for 50/100 spends
i looked up 3mmx12mm 3x20 4x20 4x30 4x35 and 5x60 as sizes i need to top up axminster £21.17 turbo £23.40 ish as i estimated 3x12s at £3 as they dont do that size