DIY Forum

Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:22 pm

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:06 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thought I give this filler for shine cracks on a plastered wall. So will went well I think, I mixed it up and applied, let dry overnight and sanded down. Was really pleased with the finish and ease. Started to paint Dulux Matt and then noticed all the cracks which I filled started to rise slightly like I haven't sanded it smooth to the wall. I quickly used a scraper and scraped it flush while the paint was still wet. Painted over the top and waited for it to dry. There is a noticeable rise in the cracks still.

Not had this happen before, is my toupret a bad batch?

Only brought tx110 as the normal toupret filler wasn't in stock :(

I've tried sanding it back down and then painted over again and some of the cracks come back slightly raised

I can only think of scrapping the filler out and using the cheaper ready mix I used before to fill back in.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Delicious
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:28 pm 

:welcomeuhm:

Never had this with any filler... What do you mean by "shine cracks" exactly ?

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:41 pm 

On wood maybe but not walls.... put loads on today so hope not!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:27 pm 
Newly registered Member

wine~o wrote:
:welcomeuhm:

Never had this with any filler... What do you mean by "shine cracks" exactly ?
Predictive text playing up :( meant to be 'some cracks'

Although I'm a novice diy'er and filled many cracks/holes on wall before, I don't think i've done anything different or wrong in my steps. I even left the filler to dry overnight when it should be ready in 3 hours as I only widened the hairline cracks slightly with a Stanley knife of a width similar to the width of a 2p coin.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:05 pm 
Newly registered Member

I spoke to toupret and they said that it must be the diluted pva I used in the cracks before I put the filler in. So the only way to fix the problem, was to remove the filler and start again :( not something I wanted to hear.

So removed all the filler and made the cracks slightly larger to get rid of the dried diluted pva and filled again with toupret. Waited next day for it to dry and sanded down. Started painting and no issues :) since it was the first coat of paint I wasn't too bothered with the paint looking lighter at the filled in sections (see attached photo). Coated 2nd time and all looks good last night, but when I opened the curtains this morning with the natural sunlight, I can see that the paint looks lighter for all the cracks filled :(

Just finished my 3rd coat and will see tomorrow morning what it looks light with sunlight. If it still shows then what should i do? Another coat of paint the whole wall white as a base coat and then paint the colour back I want? If so then it's another tin of the coloured paint to buy :(

I just can't believe the issue I'm having buy spending more on a filler, when I would of been done and dusted using no-nonsense filler which I normally use. Image

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:18 pm 
UHM Super Moderator

I have slightly changed the thread title. Seems it wasn't a filler problem may have been a user problem.

For this message the author moderator2 has received gratitude : OchAye
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:21 pm 

2nd coat of paint should cover that lot

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:35 pm 

Had a similar problem in the past but with Toupret murex on an exterior. Where the walls were filled you could clearly see it becoming lighter over time, the sandtex was a red colour and no matter how many coats it had it still lightened in the coming days. Turns out the alkali in the filler was burning out the red pigment in the sandtex. Had to apply red oil based undercoat over the filler to sort it out.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:34 pm 
Newly registered Member

moderator2 wrote:
I have slightly changed the thread title. Seems it wasn't a filler problem may have been a user problem.
I'm happy to admit it's a user error, but like to say in my defence the packaging doesn't mention not to use diluted pva to help the filler bond.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:35 pm 
Newly registered Member

Ktuludays wrote:
2nd coat of paint should cover that lot

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
Well I've put my third coat on and will see what happens tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:39 pm 
Newly registered Member

ian gibson wrote:
Had a similar problem in the past but with Toupret murex on an exterior. Where the walls were filled you could clearly see it becoming lighter over time, the sandtex was a red colour and no matter how many coats it had it still lightened in the coming days. Turns out the alkali in the filler was burning out the red pigment in the sandtex. Had to apply red oil based undercoat over the filler to sort it out.
Thanks for the info I'm going the third coat will be ok when I check tomorrow morning.

If this is causing the issue then I'm at a lost. Would I get away using BIN over the cracks and then put the paint back on?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:46 am 

moderator2 wrote:

So it is your fault! I thought my South African red that was making me read things wrong ... like a change in the subject line.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:24 am 

stse88 wrote:
ian gibson wrote:
Thanks for the info I'm going the third coat will be ok when I check tomorrow morning.

If this is causing the issue then I'm at a lost. Would I get away using BIN over the cracks and then put the paint back on?

Oil based undercoat is your best bet, and it helps if it's a similar colour to the emulsion. BIN might work but will take a few coats of the darker emulsion to cover it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:44 pm 

moderator2 wrote:

Hmmm, changing thread names without users knowledge.... not sure I agree with that.

Just sayin.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:51 pm 
Newly registered Member

Late update, but it's not worked after the 3rd coat, can still see the filler lines. Natural sunlight shows it up more.

So I assume if I covered the whole wall with a white matt emulsion and then paint the pink again wouldn't work? Or I need to try an oil based undercoat mentioned earlier? If so what's an oil based undercoat, can someone send me a link of what I need or recommend. Also do I need to paint the whole wall or just where the filler lines are and then feather it out? I've got BIN and read it will cause flashing so don't want to try it and make it worse

This wall is doing my nut in but I don't want to be beat, hopefully with the advice from the forum I will be victorious :)

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]