DIY Forum

Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:19 am

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:47 pm 
Newly registered Member

I need to lift the weyroc chipboard floor and replace it in an upstairs bathroom. It's been fitted (in the 1990s) with no glue and gun nails. It creaks and quacks. In order to un-nail it at one end I am challenged by plastic waste pipes, especially the toilet pipe that goes to the stack outside. I'm no fan of working on ladders. I'm guessing that if I twist and turn the pipe I can pull it out into the bathroom and when I'm finished I can repeat the process ? What are my chances of being that lucky if the pipes and seals are almost 20 years old ? (I'm assuming they're push fit seals)

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Delicious
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:30 pm 

Do you see, under the plastic bag, that the end of the black soil pipe has a wider "mouth" for the last few inches? That is where the end of the white elbow sits inside.

Then, nearer the end, there is a fatter ring - inside that is a rubber ring, a seal. Without shadow of doubt, the white male part will pull out of the black female pipe, and to reassemble it, smear the rubber ring & the white pipe with a small amount of washing-up liquid.

The stack outside will be more difficult as the black pipe is embedded into both the interior wall (with plaster) and the exterior wall (with mortar). But firstly you need to examine the stack to ascertain that it is the same push-fit connections (the fat rings) and not solvent-welded (glued) which will have a lower profile.

Alternatively, you could cut the black pipe about 4" from the wall, then reassemble it with a straight connector (available from SFix & many other places). You will need to file the cut ends to form a chamfer, otherwise they won't slide into the new rubber rings.

For this message the author arco_iris has received gratitude : egibberate