DIY Forum

Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:31 pm

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:46 pm 
Newly registered Member

We had an interruption to our cold water supply and power. Just for an hour or so, then next morning our central heating came on but no hot water it wouldn’t fire up. Couldn’t get a plumber for a week, so used the immersion for a week. Then one week later fault f05 showed and heating and water turned off. Plumber changed the valve which changes from hot water to heating. This didn’t work so he got a new pump and fitted it. He got the hot water and heating on. Next morning same fault F05 and hot water and heating went off. He said it’s an airlock and bled the radiators and emptied the system and refilled.

Turned heating and water offf. Heating came on fine, an hour later the hot water tried to fire up the temp on the boiler went to 95 then cut everything off again fault F05.

This is now day 10. Since day one the water from out hit tap in bathroom is dribbling out s small amount when turned fully on.

Can’t get a plumber until next week.

Please can you advise

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Delicious
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:52 am 

Hi Panda2019 :welcomeuhm:
I am not a heating engineer or a plumber or in any way qualified to work on a central heating boiler.
But as no one else has chipped in, I am a landlord with boilers from many brands in properties (none of them Valiant) but it’s all the same components inside, more or less.
First off when you say plumber I assume you mean a qualified and certified Gas Safe Heating Engineer. The person will have a photo card with all the up to date details on it. That said not all Gas Safe people are as experienced as others, if yours is on the phone a lot while on the job asking advice from other engineer pals or the manufacturer, chances are they are qualified but inexperienced and don’t let age or sex fool you, some gnarly old dude may look as if they have years of repairs under their belt and look the part, be able to hang a new boiler and commission it but have no clue on repairs of older boilers and the common faults. (Personal Experience)
That Said
I looked up the error code you posted here on line. F5 or F05 would indicate an NTC fault
FYI
"NTC FAULTS (feed temperature sensor) – faulty connection and open circuit. This means that your Flow NTC (Negative Temperature Coefficient Thermostat) cable is either defective or broken and needs to be replaced".
That would sound right given the high temp on the boiler of 95, anything over 60 is a scalding risk.
From what I read, you need to fix that NTC fault first to allow further diagnostics of other components like the divertor valve or pump, which have already been changed.

I hope that helps a little
With luck others might jump in with better advice.

Regards
Duck Tape