Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:21 pm

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:38 am 
Newly registered Member

hi there,

about to have a new boiler installed. Current one is about 25 years old and isn't condensing. I've already had a plumber around and we decided on the intergas eco rf 24 as being a good option.

However I've just learnt that there's a new Xtreme version out. Any idea which is better? Most concerning for me is noise levels as it's in a bedroom cupboard (modulation?). Also the warranties are important to me too. They both appear on paper to be good boilers and i'll be having the weather module installed too. Thanks for any advice.

It's a two bedroom apartment with 1 bath. I'd like the shower to be a thermomixer so fed straight from the boiler so flow is an issue too.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Delicious
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:33 pm 

There is yet another option.....

The Xtreme is a great boiler and possibly the most efficient combi for hot water currently produced but there is also a version that is identical but without the flue gas heat recovery system that is slightly cheaper but more importantly has a ten year warranty as opposed to 7 for the Xtreme.

The better modulation on the X range will make a massive difference in a flat in terms of efficiency.

Noise wise the ECO is actually quieter than the new range. However the difference is only really noticeable during DHW production and the fan is a little noisier during initial start up.

Overall for a flat I'd go for the 24kW Xclusive with ten year warranty it's a very good boiler

As always help on here is free, however if you think you have saved a decent sum of money why not click the link to find out about the charity we're currently supporting? A couple of quid makes a real difference.

donnas-dream-house-charity-t52110.html

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:27 pm 
Newly registered Member

Razor wrote:
There is yet another option.....

The Xtreme is a great boiler and possibly the most efficient combi for hot water currently produced but there is also a version that is identical but without the flue gas heat recovery system that is slightly cheaper but more importantly has a ten year warranty as opposed to 7 for the Xtreme.

The better modulation on the X range will make a massive difference in a flat in terms of efficiency.

Noise wise the ECO is actually quieter than the new range. However the difference is only really noticeable during DHW production and the fan is a little noisier during initial start up.

Overall for a flat I'd go for the 24kW Xclusive with ten year warranty it's a very good boiler

I'm a bit confused... Xclusive or Xtreme are you recommending? Is the Xclusive just the Xtreme version without the flue gas heat recover? Also if you wouldn't mind, what is modulation and why does it make a difference in a flat. Thanks. Noise levels are really super important because it's literally a cupboard in the master bedroom where boiler goes. The extended warranty of 3 extra years sounds nice. Thing is i will probably sell this place before the 7 year warranty runs out so only if it adds plus EV for buyers with longer warranty would i be bothered about warranty lengths.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:30 pm 

If silence is your primary concern the ECO RF is a lot quieter overall. I'm pretty sure it's still the quietest boiler on the market.

Modulation matter more when you have less rads - it's the minimum 'horsepower' the boiler will run down too and the X platform will go down to about half the output that the eco will. This can be mostly dialled out with careful setup.

Yes the Xclusive is an Xtreme without the flue gas heat recovery but it has a ten year warranty as opposed to 7 on the xtreme.

The ECO has a ten year warranty as well, my choice would be between this and the Xclusive with the ECO getting the nod if it really has to be the quietest and the Xclusive winning out if you're not so bothered about it being slightly louder during hot water production

As always help on here is free, however if you think you have saved a decent sum of money why not click the link to find out about the charity we're currently supporting? A couple of quid makes a real difference.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:13 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks for your reply, really appreciate your advice. The total number of rads in the flat will be 2x k2 900, 1x k2 1800, 1x k1 900 and a heated towel rail and thermomixer shower. So that's just five rads in total. From what I understand the Xclusive would turn on less often but be more noisy than the eco... that's my understanding of modulation.

On paper they both sound like great boilers so I'm really stuck for decision here. If the difference is that the Xclusive will be a bit more efficient (less gas bill) but eco way more quiet, then eco rf it is. There'd have to be a pretty significant cost saving to warrant a louder boiler. If there are any tips I should 'remind' the plumber about to tune the eco rf 24 then please let me know. Weather module will be attached too. Also it's all microbore piping throughout, if that makes any difference. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:14 pm 

You don't need weather compensation with it. It's not a good solution for a domestic property.

What you do need is a thermostat that communicates with the boiler via Opentherm. The Honeywell Lyric T6 is awesome. The NEST is not quite as good for control but looks really good so the choice is yours!