Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:20 pm

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:26 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi all,

I'd appreciate any thoughts/advice on the following. It relates to cracks in hard plaster ceilings and walls (no plasterboard) in the hallway of a Victorian property. Most of the cracks have re-appeared in the same place despite having been previously repaired. Given the age of the property, the cracks are likely due to movement, though I appreciate if the underlying causes are not addressed then it's no surprise if cracks do re-appear over time. However, while it may not be entirely possible to resolve all potential issues right now, for the time being, I'd like to at least prevent the cracks from further expanding.

Before I go ahead, I'd like to see whether any of the following options would aid my cause in the mid-term?

A. Use a flexible filler (Fibacryl / SikaFlex or similar) or expanding foam filler to fill in the raked crack to allow for potential movement, finished with an interior filler for the top surface.

B. Fill in the raked crack with an interior filler followed by a suitable scrim tape over the top and finished with a top layer of interior filler.

Or not go to the effort of either A or B and just use an interior filler as before, and simply try to resolve the movement issues when the time comes?

Thanks

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Delicious
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:20 pm 

In a property of that age the cracks in the ceilings, are likely to be due to the joists above moving. Every time someone walks across the room above, the joists will move again and the cracks will open up again so neither of your solutions are likely to work for more than a very short time.

I would be a bit more concerned about the cracks in the walls as there might be something more serious causing them as there shouldn't be any type of settlement in a house of that age.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:42 am 
Newly registered Member

Check out the Toupret filler range, fantastic filler and never have any problems with it.