DIY Forum

 

Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

 

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

 

 

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:11 am


Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]




 

 


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:26 am 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:51 pm
Posts: 5
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 0 times
Hello folks,
I am looking for advice on how to remove the door frame. I have never seen anything like this before and nothing I have ever seen for sale. It probably was some kind of special order... The action is on the first floor. The walls are made of plasterboard and many layers of wallpaper...
I have replaced the door frames downstairs and apart from square nails lodged with a piece of wood in a brick they were straight forward to replace.
There are no nails on a side of it or top. It seems like it is nailed down to a floorboard sideways.

I have attached a few pictures for your reference.

Thanks


Attachments:
20190227_123100.jpg
20190227_123100.jpg [ 330 KiB | Viewed 683 times ]
20190227_123028.jpg
20190227_123028.jpg [ 513.83 KiB | Viewed 683 times ]
20190227_123008.jpg
20190227_123008.jpg [ 385.79 KiB | Viewed 683 times ]
20190227_122936.jpg
20190227_122936.jpg [ 395.55 KiB | Viewed 683 times ]
20190227_122921_HDR.jpg
20190227_122921_HDR.jpg [ 305.54 KiB | Viewed 683 times ]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Delicious
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:44 pm 
Online
Senior Member

Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:51 pm
Posts: 8701
Location: Essex
Has thanked: 656 times
Been thanked: 1857 times
This where a multi tool comes into its own. You can saw it away in sections and then focus on the fixing points rather than trying to lever it out in sections.

DWD

_________________
Painting with BIN


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:31 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:58 pm
Posts: 3640
Has thanked: 920 times
Been thanked: 403 times
From the photos it looks like they've attached a strip to reduce the door from a 33" inch to a 32".

I don't see what the problem is though. Are you replacing the whole door lining? If you saw into the existing door lining at a downwards angle you should be able to pull it out without the opposing pieces jamming against each other. Be careful though, some of those old door linings go right up to the ceiling.



For this message the author Argyll has received gratitude : martynr
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:05 am 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:51 pm
Posts: 5
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 0 times
Argyll wrote:
From the photos it looks like they've attached a strip to reduce the door from a 33" inch to a 32".

I don't see what the problem is though. Are you replacing the whole door lining? If you saw into the existing door lining at a downwards angle you should be able to pull it out without the opposing pieces jamming against each other. Be careful though, some of those old door linings go right up to the ceiling.


I do not believe if there is any reduction. The whole frame is one piece. Even the bit that sticks out in first image where some plaster crumbled off. Therefore, it seems that the whole frame is somewhat odd shape, the outer edge is not plain. It seems that the lining is attached at the head section to the jambs and at least one jamb is nailed to the floorboard. Ideally I would like to replace the frames as they seen better days. I am a bit worried of cutting it out as I have read here that sometimes frames might go up to the ceiling...

Thanks for the help.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:11 am 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:58 pm
Posts: 3640
Has thanked: 920 times
Been thanked: 403 times
martynr wrote:
Argyll wrote:
From the photos it looks like they've attached a strip to reduce the door from a 33" inch to a 32".

I don't see what the problem is though. Are you replacing the whole door lining? If you saw into the existing door lining at a downwards angle you should be able to pull it out without the opposing pieces jamming against each other. Be careful though, some of those old door linings go right up to the ceiling.


I do not believe if there is any reduction. The whole frame is one piece. Even the bit that sticks out in first image where some plaster crumbled off. Therefore, it seems that the whole frame is somewhat odd shape, the outer edge is not plain. It seems that the lining is attached at the head section to the jambs and at least one jamb is nailed to the floorboard. Ideally I would like to replace the frames as they seen better days. I am a bit worried of cutting it out as I have read here that sometimes frames might go up to the ceiling...

Thanks for the help.


Obviously it's difficult to see from a photo but in the first photo is the white painted section a strip of wood attached to the door lining or is that the door jamb?

Edit: From the 3rd photo you can see it's not the door jamb it's a piece that's been added to the door lining to reduce the width of the door. Orrrrr is that just the piece that's been painted and the rest has been hidden by the architrave. it looks like a seperate piece of wood but as I said it's difficult to make out from a photo.



For this message the author Argyll has received gratitude : martynr
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:19 am 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:58 pm
Posts: 3640
Has thanked: 920 times
Been thanked: 403 times
Is this one piece of wood or two?


Attachments:
wood.jpg
wood.jpg [ 168.52 KiB | Viewed 582 times ]
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:20 am 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:58 pm
Posts: 3640
Has thanked: 920 times
Been thanked: 403 times
Anyway going back to your original post what exactly is the problem? Are you saying there are no nails holding in the door lining in place and you don't know how to remove it?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:38 pm 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:51 pm
Posts: 5
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 0 times
Argyll wrote:
Anyway going back to your original post what exactly is the problem? Are you saying there are no nails holding in the door lining in place and you don't know how to remove it?


Hi, thanks for your replies. Yes, the issue is the removal of the door frame. The frame is not reduced in size. It is just the architrave that has been removed from the frame. It was painted over gazillion times and looks like it's reduced in size but it isn't.
The issue I find is that I cannot see the attachment points of the frame as I thought there to be for the removal of the door frame.

Thanks


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:07 pm 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:51 pm
Posts: 5
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 0 times
I took some images to show that there is no resizing done.


Attachments:
20190301_195923_HDR.jpg
20190301_195923_HDR.jpg [ 396.02 KiB | Viewed 561 times ]
20190301_195904_HDR.jpg
20190301_195904_HDR.jpg [ 459.1 KiB | Viewed 561 times ]
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:10 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:51 pm
Posts: 8189
Has thanked: 415 times
Been thanked: 1546 times
martynr wrote:
The issue I find is that I cannot see the attachment points of the frame as I thought there to be for the removal of the door frame.



Are you sure the wall is plasterboard (and studwork)?

If it's brickwork, then the frames may be built in, with frame ties screwed to the back.

_________________
One day it will all be firewood.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:14 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:58 pm
Posts: 3640
Has thanked: 920 times
Been thanked: 403 times
I must admit I've never seen a door lining atied into brick work. I've only ever seen them nailed in.



For this message the author Argyll has received gratitude : martynr
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:14 pm 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:51 pm
Posts: 5
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 0 times
Hello again,

I am back after a little of delay... As I expected the frame was oddly made just for the house to fit probably... It looks like the frame was fitted together with the wall frames as there were nails in the door frame. Moreover, the door frame had the cut outs for the "perfect" fit...


Attachments:
20190310_094444_HDR.jpg
20190310_094444_HDR.jpg [ 228.84 KiB | Viewed 344 times ]
20190309_130902_HDR.jpg
20190309_130902_HDR.jpg [ 228.82 KiB | Viewed 344 times ]
20190309_125824_HDR.jpg
20190309_125824_HDR.jpg [ 642.43 KiB | Viewed 344 times ]
20190309_125756_HDR.jpg
20190309_125756_HDR.jpg [ 265.38 KiB | Viewed 344 times ]
20190309_125240_HDR.jpg
20190309_125240_HDR.jpg [ 451.78 KiB | Viewed 344 times ]
20190309_125202_HDR.jpg
20190309_125202_HDR.jpg [ 150.36 KiB | Viewed 344 times ]
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:15 pm 
Online
Senior Member

Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:49 pm
Posts: 6725
Location: south tyneside
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 581 times
theres an estate round my way that has door frames on the upstairs made the same. so the paramount partition fits inside the rebate


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:42 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:16 pm
Posts: 6024
Location: Somerset
Has thanked: 105 times
Been thanked: 363 times
I removed some downstairs doorframes in an ex council house, they had steel pins about 16mm round going from the concrete floor into the end of the frames by a good few inches.

I guess they were some form of alignment pins during the building stage. Frames put in then infilled with brick between them perhaps.

_________________
Why isn't the number 11 pronounced onety one?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

 

 




Similar topics
   

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Visit Solent plastics


 

 

 

News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
ultimatehandyman privacy policy

Contact

 

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

phpBB SEO