DIY Forum

Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:11 pm

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:38 am 
Newly registered Member

I'm planning to use MDF to make a desk top a bit like the one in the picture below. I was thinking of using a white water-based MDF primer (do I need to use MDF sealer before the primer or are they the same thing?) and then a flooring paint for the grey area in the middle. For the edge, could I use bitumen paint? I happen to be buying some anyway and thought it might look cool to have a thicker black edge around the desk. Could I then cover it all in polyurethane to make it more hard-wearing?

I also have some book cases made from particleboard which has that horrible excuse for a veneer which I think is just a picture of wood printed on paper and glued to the surface. Would I need to prime that to apply the same flooring paint?

Thanks in advance for not laughing at me. :)

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Delicious
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:10 pm 

Painting MDF you have to have the primer on first as it bonds to the surface and then prevents further finish coats sinking right in. MDF is microporous and will suck ordinary paint in if it is not primed and it will look patchy and poorly done. Once the primer is on any paint you use will bond to the primer, and the fact you intend using floor paint would suggest that it is a hard finish and should not need a further coat of polyurethane which will dull it all down in time.

The paper veneer is a little dodgy as you have to be careful that the primer lays on rather than penetrates. The biggest issue is delaminating or bubbles under so I would try a bit of your MDF primer in an inconspicuous part and see how that goes. Just check the solvent as water and oil based may cause issues. The methylated spirit based primers like BIN might work.

DWD