DIY Forum

Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:34 am

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:38 am 

Hi again

Got the plumber here and he's fitting plumb centre tradefix TRVs (WTRVP AK15N). Are these ok? I'm usually the kinda person who likes to spend more to get decent quality, but I don't know much about TRVs and so don't know if these are any good or not?

Sorry for all the questions!

Cheers

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Delicious
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:02 am 

Whilst on the subject, he'll be installing a system filter of the same brand - Wolseley 609932....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:47 pm 

Most of my house uses Honeywell VT15 TRV's with one odd cheap unbranded from Screwfix, and the Unbranded works better than the Honeywell with the MiHome electronic heads fitted to both.

The TRV is two devices, a valve and a head, the valve can be omni-directional or bi-directional, on/off or modulating, most today are modulating type, and bi-directional but in real terms even if bi-directional they still need to be fitted on the feed, as if fitted on the return the radiator gets hot before the sensor detects the heat so are prone to over shooting when fitted on the return.

The heads come as wax, liquid, and electronic, the latter come as self contained and with wifi, and with wifi some will simply follow wall mounted thermostats and some can connect to very cleaver hubs.

So first why use a TRV.
1) To stop a room over heating.
2) To control the boiler using return water temperature.
3) To control the boiler using connection to boiler bus.

The first consideration is what can the boiler do? There is no point fitting electronic TRV's that report to a hub which can modulate the boiler output using OpenTherm if the boiler is not OpenTherm enabled.

So Screwfix prices cheapest TRV costs around £6 fit a Terrier i30 head and now an extra £13 so total £19 for a TRV which you can set with different temperatures through the day, and set in degs C not *,1,2,3,4,5,6 the problem is no TRV can turn the radiator on if the boiler is not running, nor can they turn the boiler off, they can cause the boiler to modulate, and after that to cycle and anti-cycle software can reduce how often it cycles on/off, but unless the head talks to the boiler electrically then there is a little hit and miss.

However using a simple wall thermostat to turn off boiler on warm days (not controlling room temperature) can result is a system which is near enough for most people without using wifi TRV heads.

The problem as ever is how far to go? And spending money on TRV's then deciding to go to next stage and use fan assisted radiators instead is rather pointless. As already stated the boiler does make a lot of difference, with oil fired the boiler hardly modulates so very different to gas. And a open plan house is often better controlled with a modulating wall thermostat.

Every home is different, my first house had hot air central heating, really expensive to run, but temperature was spot on. Your paying a plumber, so use his advice, he can see the building and work out best method far better than anyone remote.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:48 pm 

That's so helpful, thank you so very much.

He fitted some on the feeds and some on the returns, depending on how much space there was. He said it made no difference.

Wasn't the most helpful of guys but was nice enough. That did make it hard to ask for any decent advice, no matter how many cups of tea I made!

To be honest, half the time we will use the TRVs as on off switches. And also it's nice to be able to turn down rads in rooms that aren't used so much but you don't want to be freezing (for the good of the house as much as any thing else). And we tend to run the hottest rooms at 15/16. So nothing too fancy needed here, just a bit of control and an easy on/off. Seems like the TRVs he's used are fine for that. I just hope they last.

Cheers