DIY Forum

Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:17 pm

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:52 am 
Newly registered Member

I'm getting my garage roof replaced in March - currently it is an old asbestos cement roof, it leaks and the roof timbers are quite badly rotten. The roofer is going to remove all asbestos panels, replace roof timbers and lay a GRP flat roof with new fascia and guttering - going to cost £3,500 (not sure if that is a good price or not). Roof measures about 2m x 5m.

Currently the roof timbers are inserted into the wall rather than on top of a wall plate (due to the garage having parapet walls), with the walls only being 4" thick then the joist ends are just covered by a thin layer of cement which is invariably failing, and in a couple of cases the joist ends are completely open to the outside.

Seeing as the new roof is going to cost me so much I want to ensure I don't have similar joist problems in the future - so would anybody advise a better option for supporting the roof timbers or just stick with the existing arrangement? Would there normally be a different best practice method for supporting the roof timbers for this type of roof? I was thinking about using joist hangers in some way but not sure how that would really work.

Appreciate any advice - see photos below:

Attachment:
IMG_20181110_085021.jpg
IMG_20181110_085021.jpg [ 515.19 KiB | Viewed 653 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_20190104_104505.jpg
IMG_20190104_104505.jpg [ 635.79 KiB | Viewed 653 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_20190104_080721.jpg
IMG_20190104_080721.jpg [ 491.78 KiB | Viewed 653 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_20190104_080832.jpg
IMG_20190104_080832.jpg [ 511.92 KiB | Viewed 653 times ]

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Delicious
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:38 pm 

There are few issues to get sorted first. Is it asbestos sheet roof as this will have a cost implication for removal and disposal? I would ask your local council Environmental Health officer to check it out for you, they can advise the appropriate steps for removal and disposal if it is. I would have thought that this is a job you could easily take on yourself where you can do the bulk of the work and contract out the roof covering perhaps. I would have thought joist hangers would be an acceptable solution. £3500 sounds a bit stiff for the work involved. I am sure you can do it much cheaper. Check the roof first and then make a decision. :thumbright:

DWD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:46 pm 

Masonry hangers require 1m of brickwork above them, you're best bet, if you don't want to build them in, is to fit ledger plates and use Jiffy hangers on those.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:48 pm 
Newly registered Member

dewaltdisney wrote:
There are few issues to get sorted first. Is it asbestos sheet roof as this will have a cost implication for removal and disposal? I would ask your local council Environmental Health officer to check it out for you, they can advise the appropriate steps for removal and disposal if it is. I would have thought that this is a job you could easily take on yourself where you can do the bulk of the work and contract out the roof covering perhaps. I would have thought joist hangers would be an acceptable solution. £3500 sounds a bit stiff for the work involved. I am sure you can do it much cheaper. Check the roof first and then make a decision. :thumbright:

DWD

Yes, it is asbestos sheet, the roofer is removing this, bagging it and getting an external company round to remove and dispose of it. Whilst I tackle most renovation jobs round the house getting up on the garage to remove asbestos sheets by myself wasn't something that I was particularly enthusiastic about, especially as the council wouldn't take such a large quantity.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:59 pm 

Another option would be to fit new timber in the original holes but to cover the timber with either dpc (which might be a bit tight fit) or a tip I was told which I use is a heavy duty rubble bad folded and stapled then trimmed - this works very well for any timbers that go into masonry.

If he suggests putting new timber back into the wall without protection don't let him its just lazy and he'll probably say that its the roof or the failing cement at fault or modern treated timber is better blah blah - prevention is better than cure!

Failing that a wall plate with hangers.

I think the price is fair enough, edpm or corrugated would maybe have been a bit cheaper