DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:40 pm

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: order to hang paper
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:47 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi,
I have always done my own decorating, but it has been a while and I have forgotten the order round the room to hang. It is also complicated this time because I am only papering some walls, not the whole room (for now). The question is: on pic 1, do I start in the corner of wall 2 and chimney and work clockwise 2 -> 1 and finish in the corner by the door? Or to start in the corner by the door and work anti-clockwise 1 -> 2? I can work around the door no problem, so I can make sure it is hung straight. At a later date to finish that room start in the middle of the chimney and work anti-clockwise, or start in the corner by the door and work clockwise?

In the second room, I am only doing the one wall (marked 4). So clockwise from the door or anti-clockwise from corner of wall opposite door, and wall 4?
To finish that room, which direction?

Lining paper to be used, so no need to worry about patterns etc

Pics aren't to scale! many thanks.

Attachments:
pic2.jpg
pic2.jpg [ 82.49 KiB | Viewed 870 times ]
pic1.jpg
pic1.jpg [ 82.24 KiB | Viewed 870 times ]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Delicious
 Post subject: Re: order to hang paper
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:59 am 
Newly registered Member

Can anybody help me out here - lots of views, but no suggestions. I am about to start, so any help is appreciated. thanks

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:13 pm 

If walls are nice and smooth, I won't bother with wall paper. It may need a bit of filling and sanding and then paint.

I started removing them in my house.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:35 pm 
Newly registered Member

Just start wherever you feel comfortable with lining paper so long as you can get a couple of full lengths up before you start making cuts or going round corners. I'm left handed so always try to paper leff to right if possible.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:17 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks for the replies. I do need to paper the walls, they are not in a condition even with filling that would ok to just fill&paint. I was really asking because the usual advice really applies when doing a whole room, which for various reasons I can't do this time, and because often the advice assumes that the window is opposite the door, or at least diagonal from it. In the living room (pic1) the door is on the adjacent wall and close to where the bay starts.

What I am really getting at, is which way will be less noticeable for the butt joins, slight overlaps/shadows etc? I think the usual advice is work away from the window. Start in corner of wall where window is and work away?

What I propose to do in pic1 is to start left of the door with the first strip slightly lapping above the door (I think it always looks noticeable where the edge of the paper is inline with the door architrave. Then work anticlockwise 1 -> 2 ending up in the corner where 2 meets the chimney breast. Then do the narrow strip right of the door, lapping above the door, then the middle section lapped and cut directly above the door. One painted I think you will have to look hard to see that.

In Pic 2 work from the corner opposite the door, back towards the door. One reason is because the first section of wall is in two different levels - there is a section almost halfway down the wall which comes out about 6" - possibly once a fireplace or back of living room's fireplace.

Many thanks

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:16 pm 

If it's lining paper it doesn't really matter where you start. Just go around the room first with an unopened roll in your hand and make pencil marks where each drop is likely to be so you don't end up needing a tiny sliver in a corner.