DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:32 am

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:56 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi

First post here. :)

Would like to get some advice before I make a bad decision.

I'm doing one of those rush jobs before Christmas hits. You know the ones ... It's the reason you took vacation.

Just a MDF shelf for the TV area. I'm priming with Zinsser Bull's Eye 123 primer. I would like to top coat this with white gloss enamel and would prefer to spray it on for a more consistent finish. I've done this before with regular wood primer, undercoat and enamel, but I've read plenty indicating enamel can go directly over the Zinsser primer. Time-wise I can't do the 3 layer approach (16 hour dry time on the wood primer!).

The paint is Plascon Super Universal Enamel and requires a 10:1 dilution with turpentine for spray application.

Would this be fine on the Zinsser primer or is it likely the turpentine content could cause a reaction?

I have a test panel with primer drying, but would like to hear other's experience with spraying Enamel over Zinsser 123.

Thank you

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Delicious
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:48 pm 

I would use a water based paint over Zin 123 - a decent paint will brush on and self level

I wouldn't like to say whether enamel over 123 will be durable enough, painting is all in the prep

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:15 pm 
Newly registered Member

I'm thinking that might work best. The shelf is a temporary fixture to clean things up while I build a backing unit for the TV.

Most things I've seen online indicate it can take any topcoat, but rather safe than sorry.

I let the Zinsser 123 dry for 3 hours and mixed up a small 10:1 batch of enamel and turpentine and just brushed it on half of the test board about an hour ago. Did the other half in some universal undercoat I used for previous project. Both seem to take fine.

I'm going to let that dry overnight. Let's see if anything happens or if it lifts. The undercoat is just about dry already.

I guess I could take this as tests for the final project application.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:00 pm 
Newly registered Member

So diluted solvent-based enamel does stick well to Zinsser 123, but I'm looking at 24+ hours for it to get passed the touch dry phase. Is that the turpentine or the primer causing that?

Not comfortable with the dry time, so I'm doing the waterborne topcoat. Picked up some Duram medium sheen waterborne enamel yesterday and it is much more workable. Also best to match the primer to the paint as you indicated Bob225. These quick interim projects usually become mid- to long-term fixtures until I find time for the final product. :)

So back to it, I guess. Prime, then sand back with 220. Going to do that for 2-3 thin coats to get the MDF covered evenly. The roller doesn't leave a decent surface.