Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:55 pm

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Intergas 24/18
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:12 pm 
Newly registered Member

So I recently bought a house which needed fully renovating. The house had electric storage heaters and an immersion water tank.

We got rid of the heaters and tank and have had an intergas 24/18 boiler installed.

We have realised that our hot water pressure seems to be extremely low and if I try to run bath and sink at same time one tap will completely cut off. We haven't got a downstairs sink yet as we are in the process of getting a kitchen put in.

I can't remember if the hot water pressure was like this before installing the intergas boiler.

My concern is that the boiler isnt powerful enough to supply a good hot water rate, but surely not that bad!?

The guy who installed it is an intergas qualified installer and I queried whether it would be powerful enough and he reassured me. Our house is 3 bedroomed semi detached, 6 double panelled large radiators and a towel rail in bathroom.

Does anyone know of this is a problem with the boiler or something else?

Rob

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Delicious
 Post subject: Re: Intergas 24/18
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:47 pm 

You say the hot water pressure is low but with a combi it's the incoming cold water flow rate that is important.

To help us to advise.
Do you know the incoming cold water pressure (bar) and importantly the flow rate (ltr/min) to your property.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:49 pm 
Newly registered Member

PLB wrote:
You say the hot water pressure is low but with a combi it's the incoming cold water flow rate that is important.

To help us to advise.
Do you know the incoming cold water pressure (bar) and importantly the flow rate (ltr/min) to your property.
Not off the top of my head. But cold water pressure seems good. The installer I believe tested it briefly and said pressure was sound.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:09 pm 

Ok, so I assume you are saying that the flow from your hot sink tap is a lot lower than the cold sink tap.

Also, although you say the hot water flow is poor do you get hot/very hot water from the tap.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:31 pm 
Newly registered Member

PLB wrote:
Ok, so I assume you are saying that the flow from your hot sink tap is a lot lower than the cold sink tap.

Also, although you say the hot water flow is poor do you get hot/very hot water from the tap.
Yes the flow is a lot less with the hot water.

The hot water gets really hot quite quickly.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:49 pm 

The other guys may want to comment but the only thing that I can think of is that the cold feed to the boiler is being restricted in some way.

Is there a pressure reducing valve fitted to the incoming cold water supply to the boiler.
Or
Is there a ISO valve partially closed on the incoming cold water supply feeding the boiler.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:52 pm 
Newly registered Member

PLB wrote:
The other guys may want to comment but the only thing that I can think of is that the cold feed to the boiler is being restricted in some way.

Is there a pressure reducing valve fitted to the incoming cold water supply to the boiler.
Or
Is there a ISO valve partially closed on the incoming cold water supply feeding the boiler.
I have no idea, not currently living in property until all works done.

Wouldn't that affect both cold and hot water flow though?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:07 pm 

No, the cold water supply to your taps is being fed directly from the incoming cold supply to your property and does not pass through your combi boiler. (I understand this gives a good water flow.)

Whereas the hot water to your taps is being fed from your combi boiler. Mains cold in, hot out. (I understand this gives you a poor water flow.)

Hence the possibility of some restriction to the cold supply to the boiler.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:21 pm 
Newly registered Member

PLB wrote:
No, the cold water supply to your taps is being fed directly from the incoming cold supply to your property and does not pass through your combi boiler. (I understand this gives a good water flow.)

Whereas the hot water to your taps is being fed from your combi boiler. Mains cold in, hot out. (I understand this gives you a poor water flow.)

Hence the possibility of some restriction to the cold supply to the boiler.
Could it be that the boiler isnt powerful enough. Apparently it's only 17kw.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:57 pm 

The priority is that you need to find out why the hot water flow rate is low compared to your cold water flow rate.

This has nothing to do with the power of the boiler.

The power of the boiler is important when it comes to the ability to heat water to a specific temperature at a spacific flow rate. You say that the water coming out of you hot tap is very hot and that makes sense since the flow rate through the boiler is low.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:55 am 
Newly registered Member

PLB wrote:
The priority is that you need to find out why the hot water flow rate is low compared to your cold water flow rate.

The power of the boiler is important when it comes to the ability to heat water to a specific temperature at a spacific flow rate. You say that the water coming out of you hot tap is very hot and that makes sense since the flow rate through the boiler is low.
The guy who installed our central heating came around last night to have a look.

He said that the hot water flow rate is a little low and that it shouldn't really shut off one tap if two are running simultaneously.

He advised us to get new taps as they are over 40 years old because they are taps suitable for high water pressure.

Will getting new taps be any better or is he fobbing me off?

Our kitchen will be installed this weekend so I'm intrigued to see if we have the same problem with a new tap.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:26 pm 

roberto.flint123 wrote:
PLB wrote:

The guy who installed our central heating came around last night to have a look.

He said that the hot water flow rate is a little low and that it shouldn't really shut off one tap if two are running simultaneously.

He advised us to get new taps as they are over 40 years old because they are taps suitable for high water pressure.

Our kitchen will be installed this weekend so I'm intrigued to see if we have the same problem with a new tap.

Just had a thought, can you please clarify the following.

You say that you have an Intergas 24/18 which is a combi boiler but Intergas boilers are very versatile and they can be configured/programmed to work as a system boiler.

You said earlier that the tank has been removed so have assumed that it has been installed and configured as combi.

Can you confirm the full Intergas model and if the installer has configured it as a combi or system boiler with a separate Hot Water cylinder.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:46 pm 
Newly registered Member

PLB wrote:
roberto.flint123 wrote:
PLB wrote:

Just had a thought, can you please clarify the following.

You say that you have an Intergas 24/18 which is a combi boiler but Intergas boilers are very versatile and they can be configured/programmed to work as a system boiler.

You said earlier that the tank has been removed so have assumed that it has been installed and configured as combi.

Can you confirm the full Intergas model and if the installer has configured it as a combi or system boiler with a separate Hot Water cylinder.
I believe it is the 24/18 HRE Compact. The guy who installed it is an intergas certified installer so I get 7 years warranty on all parts. Considering this I assume he as programmed it as a combination boiler but I can ask the question.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:14 pm 
Newly registered Member

It has been installed as a combi yes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:47 pm 

roberto.flint123 wrote:
It has been installed as a combi yes

Ok, thanks for the confirmation as all the comments so far have been based on the assumption of a combi.

As said before the hot water supplied by a combi is at mains pressure.

Basically, a low flow rate into a combi will give you a low flow rate out.

Conversely a high flow rate into a combi will give you a high flow rate out.

BTW, you have made a wise choice regarding the Intergas. :thumbleft: