Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:28 am

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: fault not fixed vauxhall
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:11 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi wondering if anyone could tell me is it safe to do a battery reset myself (female with no knowledge !!) have had several problems with my meriva not starting after several attempts at changing things and reprogramming all at great expense to me, vauxhall are now saying they can not fix it !! and have told me to just do a battery reset myself each time it breaks down ! not ideal as im a carer and spend most of the time in the middle of no where alone ! im just concerned can i harm myself or car in anyway as involves me taking battery connection off and bolting back on !

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:21 pm 

Main dealers are useless, if its electrical find a auto electrician, if not a good independent garage will be able to sort it

year, engine and mileage ? and what's been done/changed so far ? and what what is your location?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:44 pm 
Newly registered Member

hi bob225 i agree useless ! its a 62 plate done about 60000 they have changed battery in key and reset,then reprogrammed BCM but it faulted within 2 days now saying they cant fix it only went back to them has brought used car from them 6 months ago ! live in Bury st edmunds Suffolk , im just worried about resetting the battery myself me and spanners dont go !!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:50 am 

tini wrote:
they have changed battery in key and reset,then reprogrammed BCM but it faulted within 2 days now saying they cant fix it only went back to them has brought used car from them 6 months ago

You need to check the exact date that you bought it, and read below.

Quote:
The Consumer Rights Act

The Consumer Rights Act came into force on 1 October 2015 and covers the purchase of goods, digital content and services including new and used cars from official dealers (it doesn't apply to private sales) as well as servicing, repairs and maintenance work.

Like the Sale of Goods Act that preceded it, the Consumer Rights Act states that products must be:

of satisfactory quality
fit for purpose, and
as described

(For cars purchased before 1 October 2015 the Sale of Goods Act still applies)

The dealer must have the right to sell the vehicle and is liable for faults with the vehicle - that mean it was not of satisfactory quality - that were present at the time it was sold even though they may only become apparent later on.
Satisfactory quality

Satisfactory quality means that the vehicle should be of a standard a reasonable person would expect, taking into account factors such as:

history
mileage
make
durability
safety, and
description

An old car with high mileage would not be expected to be as good as a younger car with low mileage but each should still be roadworthy, reliable, and in a condition consistent with its age/price.
Wear and tear

The dealer is not liable for fair wear and tear, where the vehicle broke down or the fault emerged through normal use, nor are they liable if they drew your attention to the full extent of any fault or defect before you bought the car.
Fit for purpose

Fit for purpose means that you must be able to use the vehicle for the purposes that you would normally expect from a vehicle including any particular purpose that you tell the dealer about before you buy, or which the dealer has advertised or gleaned from your conversation. This would include towing or short journey use.
Faults, repairs and refunds

Under the new act, if a fault renders the product not of satisfactory quality, not fit for purpose or not as described, then the buyer is entitled to reject it within the first 30 days.
Between 30 days and 6 months

If a fault comes to light after 30 days but before 6 months have passed then you are entitled to a repair, replacement or refund. It is assumed in law that the fault was present at the time of purchase unless the seller can prove otherwise. During this period, unless you have agreed otherwise, the seller (dealer) has only one opportunity to repair (or replace) the faulty vehicle after which, if they fail to repair it, you are entitled to a refund.

In the event of a refund following a failed attempt at repair during the first six months the seller is permitted to make a 'reasonable' adjustment to the amount refunded to take account of the use that you have had of the vehicle since you bought it.
After 6 months

For faults that arise after six months the burden is on you to prove that the product was faulty at the time of delivery if you want to pursue a claim for repair or replacement.