Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:23 pm

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:14 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi Guys,

Got a problem that I can't solve so I need help from the good people here cos it's starting to get on my t*ts : (

Basically my walls were painted in white silk emulsion years ago. Walls have been fine to date. The problem is I ended up making a few holes in one of the walls so while repairing it I only went and made it bigger and worse. As I was prepping the area (sanding, filling holes and sanding again), parts of the existing silk paint started peeling so I ended up with a foot of peeled paint. I applied some filler to the edges and sanded to feather it out then painted again with silk emulsion. Started off looking smashing and seamless, then the outer edges started bubbling and now it looks like sh*t. See attached photo.

It seems moisture from the new paint has wet the outer edges of the old paint which has caused it to bubble. So I'm guessing I need to strip it back again and somehow seal the outer edges of the peeled paint BEFORE re-painting? If so, what sealer do I use?

Would be most grateful for any help at all guys!

Much thanks in advance

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Delicious
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:25 pm 

For sealer look for zinsser peel stop. I am pretty sure you will have to do the whole wall (or the whole room) or scrape the whole thing if you feel like it. Is it plaster under the flacking paint or another coat of paint?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:50 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks for the quick response ochAye.

Didn't know zinnser had a product called peel stop. Have you used it before and is it any good?

The reason I ask is because I've actually used zinnser bullseye on a wall stain before on a previous job - never again, as it caused flashing when painted over with emulsion. Took hunners of spot coats to make it half decent again with the rest of the wall. Don't want to fix one problem only to have another one lol

Seems silly having to strip a whole wall due to a couple of smal areas (1' by 1').

Silk paint was applied straight to plaster about 10 years ago. Don't ask me why...but never had any problems except when trying to repair the holes and repainting : (

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:01 pm 

Most primers or other clever products will flash with cheap(er) emulsions. If you can get a solid edge on your flacking paint, use toupret filler, you might get lucky and it won't bubble. I have not used peel stop, but I have used its sister or brother Gardz, therefore I believe that with spot priming your emulsion will flash.

So, have you painted the rest of the room and it does not bubble? You are likely to have the problem elsewhere but it is a question whether the paint you apply gets enough chance to wet the silk enough to make it lift. If that is the case i.e. the rest of the room is sound, as a bodge use either peel stop or oil based undercoat BEFORE you use filler, so the filler will go over the paint and stop any further flashing (I hope). In such a case the filler will take a lot longer to dry, so give it time.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:14 pm 
Newly registered Member

The room was painted several years ago with dulux silk emulsion, never had any problems. It's due to the recent holes in the plaster which has exposed the original layer of silk paint so when I paint over it agin (using the same paint) it seems to wet the edges of the previous paint layer, causing it to bubble and peel around the edges. So I'm left with a foot wide circle of bubbles - not pretty lol

Looks like I'll have to scrape/sand these and apply the peel stop around the edges before re-painting. Just hope the flashing isn't too obvious but I'd prefer flashing over bubbles any day!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:17 pm 

Do you intend to paint the whole room or just the patches? What filler do you use? And I guess the paint is from 10 years ago, yes/no?

And so sorry :welcomeuhm:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:56 am 

Peel stop is an excellent product and well recommended. Just spot prime the areas x2 then fill or paint.