Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:36 pm

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Modern Cars
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:10 pm 

Anyone got one?

I'm talking about the latest models that may (or may not) have those 'gimmicky' driver assistance items fitted - auto parking, lane following, emergency brakes etc.

Do you use them? More importantly do you TRUST them?

I saw an advert recently for a car that didn't have a brake pedal FFS! It had a single throttle/brake that regulated your speed...... :shock: I mean, how does THAT work then? What if your foot slipped off the pedal at high speed? Instant 360 (720, 1080 etc?) or a following pile-up?

Despite the claimed advances in driver assistance would you buy a car solely on the principle that it would make you a better (or safer) driver or do you consider such things genuine gimmicks?

I already have 'issues' with electric cars (mainly political - don't go there!) but some of the stuff they advertise on the assumption that people actually NEED the functions seems somewhat a stretch of imagination for me.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Delicious
 Post subject: Re: Modern Cars
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:32 pm 

I’ve a photo of a Porsche that parked in a space you’d think was impossible to get into.
I arrived just as the woman was getting out,apparently it parked itself with the driver assist thingy.

Attachments:
F3D53C19-F68D-4807-A6C0-484F1AF520C0.jpeg
F3D53C19-F68D-4807-A6C0-484F1AF520C0.jpeg [ 148.27 KiB | Viewed 771 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:43 pm 

Yes, my auto Kuga I bought to cope with my stroke weakness has all the gadgets. I do not need them as much now but they were bloody useful for a few months so much so that I would miss having them. Strangely, I was thinking that my car is not far off being driverless, it just needs auto steering. I had the auto park on my previous car but I did not use it as Mrs D used to shriek when it self parked.

I have marked the list of gadgets I have on my car and comment on each as to my thoughts of them:

Adaptive cruise control - very good at keeping you at a safe distance by monitoring the gap between the car in front and keeping to the set speed as conditions allow. This is excellent on motorway hauls and works very well.

Lane alert - this detects the lane you are in and if you wander it vibrates the steering wheel as an alert

Blind Spot indicator - a small light in the side mirrors detects a car as soon as it enters your blind spot both sides, it is very useful in traffic for overtaking.

Active City Stop - if you are travelling at slow speed it will brake the car and switch the hazard lights on if you are close to a collision. It worked once when the car in front at a roundabout stopped after pulling away, very good. At faster speeds it detects if you are too close and chimes an alert.

Rear Crossing Alert - Once reverse is selected the camera and sensors are aided by the detection of any movement from either side. This is good in car parks where as you reverse a car might come behind and you cannot see them because your view is blocked by adjacent parked cars. Very good, it chimes every week in Tesco's car park.

Self dipping headlights - really great in the unlit roads I regularly travel down.

Auto windscreen wipers - I take for granted

Voice Control - I use for the hands free phone. I can just say 'Call X' and it does it

Heated front screen - Again, I take for granted so good in frosty/icy weather.

I think having a completely driverless car would be very disconcerting and it would be a bit like auto park, a bit frightening. I think the fact you can override the controls is what gives reassurance. I think another five years will see it.

DWD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:56 am 

All these gadget are simply part of the evolution of cars and a step closer to driverless.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:23 am 

I have a new Hilux, its got a lot of driver assists on it, some useful :wink: some a pain in the ar**

Its got a camera and radar on the front and a camera on the back.
It has a safety pre collision system, basically if the driver dosn't react to a threat the car brakes itself.
Lane depart system, mine tells you that you have wandered.
Sign recognition system, again it tells, and shows you, if you are over the speed limit.
Radar camera detect system, it will beep at about half mile and then at a few hundred yards from any camera, sometimes it will pick up the opposite lane camera.
Auto headlights, unable to switch off, a pain in the butt, a lot of Hilux owners do not like it, its too sensitive, no way to adjust.
Engine pre-heater its a electrical element that heats the water up so quicker engine and cab warm up.
Traction control, on all four wheels.
Trailer sway control.
As well as all the usual things six speed, auto adjustable box, Sport mode Eco mode, manual shift or full auto, keyless locking etc.

Some are a useful aide, but not a replacement for a sensible driver.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:09 am 

Oh yes Nos, you just reminded me about the speed camera warning and the road speed indicator I did not mention but take for granted. Same as the All Wheel Drive which I suspect might help in winter? It is like electric windows and air con, it is expected these days yet I had them in 1990 in my Scorpio and this was very rare at the time. I think that is what happens, you get used to things and they become 'must haves'. A Dacia Duster is an example of a cheap poorly equipped car, it still has hand wound windows on the basic model. So I suppose it is all down to choice.

DWD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:22 am 

steviejoiner74 wrote:
I’ve a photo of a Porsche that parked in a space you’d think was impossible to get into.
I arrived just as the woman was getting out,apparently it parked itself with the driver assist thingy.

Notice how that 'driver assist' did bugger all for the car behind it - other than make it almost-impossible to get out!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:39 am 

In cars that have 'driver assist' don't these just add up to 'driver distraction'? In other words, if you rely on them you tend to take less notice of your environment? IMHO this makes for a WORSE driver. I mean, they make using mobile phones illegal for precisely that reason. GPS devices should be the same.

If there is a tendency (or need) for driver assist it should be an all-or-nothing solution and, even then, we have yet to see the results of a legal battle claiming (or refuting) blame for an accident involving 'intelligent' cars.....

Who's going to be the first to claim 'it wasn't my fault, the car did it'?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:46 am 

Wife has an MG 3 which has auto headlights. Fine if the switch can be left in that one position but I found out recently it has a potentially dangerous setting too. I had gone to pick up the daughter and had to pull into a crowded car park. Rather than just dazzle other drivers I turned the switch to sidelights. Upon leaving I turned the switch again for the headlights. Bright light out the front , dashboard lights on all fine I thought but I found I was being flashed by the car behind. Turns out that one setting puts the really quite bright "driving light" and dashboard lights on but not the tail lights.
It also has a sensor at the back but frankly it's more of a gimmick than actual use although that could just be bevcause I don't drive it often enough to fully used to it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:57 am 

I think that hands free is built into most cars and vans now but I do not understand why so many people still try to drive with a phone held to their head. I saw a silly cow doing a left turn in a newish Range Rover yesterday and she was having difficulty doing the turn one handed whilst gabbing on the phone. She has a bluetooth hands free built in why not use that? I really do not use my mobile that much these days for calls as no bugger wants to talk but on those occasions such as where I am picking up my grandson I can speak to him to ascertain the shifting pick up point as he is walking. Hand free is a boon in this type of situation.

DWD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:08 am 

The state of road manners (driving in general) is bad enough these days without people being able to use the excuse 'the car did it'. Will there be a need for a driving license if you get a driverless car in future?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:01 am 

kellys_eye wrote:
The state of road manners (driving in general) is bad enough these days without people being able to use the excuse 'the car did it'. Will there be a need for a driving license if you get a driverless car in future?

Depends on how the car is laid out and if there is a manual override. If no method of manual control, no need for a driving license as you can't do anything. It will be the equivalent of getting a taxi, jump in, tell it where to go and then wait.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:18 am 

Tbh I don't really like all these gadgets in modern cars. It seems like progress for the sake of it rather than a real need for some of these aides.

Hands free is good but other than that I think it just makes drivers lazy.

I have always preferred older vehicles and currently have 3 in the household. Work van is 2011 berlingo, have a 2000 t4 caravelle and a 2007 mazda 3. All perfectly functional without a smorgasbord of gadgets.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:50 am 

kellys_eye wrote:
steviejoiner74 wrote:

Notice how that 'driver assist' did bugger all for the car behind it - other than make it almost-impossible to get out!

I doubt the folk with the bangers either side will have bothered whilst they bumped into the brand new Porsche getting out.
It amazes me the amount of folk in minted brand new cars that park 6 inches away from my van door in tesco car park,it’s inevitable I’m hitting their door no matter how careful I am getting out !!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:10 pm 

kellys_eye wrote:

The state of driving in general makes me think that the sooner cars can be driverless the better.
We seem to have enabled a lot of "drivers" who have a licence to drive, but who pay no more attention to driving than they do to operating a fridge. The gizmos will only make it worse.