Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:39 am

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Problems with floodlight
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:28 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi, I've got a problem which is driving me up the wall.

The floodlight (with a replaceable halogen lamp/bulb and PIR sensor) in my back garden had recently stopped working. I decided to replace it.

Now, the flexi power cables which connects to the back of the floodlight comes out of a hole in the wall. The 2 power cables are taped together and each cable is wrapped in a rubber coating and each cable has 3 wires - green & yellow, brown, blue - which stick out at the end. All 6 wires were connected to the old floodlight which recently stopped working.

I purchased a first replacement floodlight (with a replaceable halogen lamp and PIR sensor). The connection points in the back of the first replacement floodlight had only points/connections for 3 wires - 1 green & yellow, 1 brown, 1 blue - but not for all 6 in my power cables. Anyway I connected 3 (green & yellow, brown, and blue) of the 6 wires. When I switched it on for the first time during the day, the light went on. A few hours later, during the dark, the light would not go on at all. I opened the connection box at the back of the replacement floodlight, to check the wires and their connections. All ok. When I switched on the light, it flashed for a second but that was it. I switched it off and on several times and each time it flashed for just a second. I returned it.

I then purchased a second replacement floodlight (with a replaceable halogen lamp and PIR sensor). Again, the connection points in the back of this replacement floodlight had only points/connections for 3 wires - 1 green & yellow, 1 brown, 1 blue - but not for all 6 in my power cables. Anyway I connected 3 (green & yellow, brown, and blue) of the 6 wires. It worked for the first night. On the second night, when I switched it off via the light switch on the wall, the sensor continued to detect movement and the light stayed on for some minutes before turning off, and even then the light went on more than once when it detected movement. How can this be if it is switched off via the light switch on the wall? I then disconnected the cable and I connected the other cable but the light would not come on at all. I returned it.

I then purchased a third replacement floodlight (with an integrated LED lamp and no PIR sensor). Again, the connection points in the back of this replacement floodlight had only points/connections for 3 wires - 1 green & yellow, 1 brown, 1 blue - but not for all 6 in my power cables. Anyway I connected 3 (green & yellow, brown, and blue) of the 6 wires. The light came on but it stayed on even when switched off via the light switch on the wall. I then disconnected the cable and I connected the other cable but the light would not come on at all. I am now about to return this also!

I also noted that one switch on our mains box was sticking down and the electricity and lights in the outhouse would not go on. When I shifted this switch back upwards, the electricity and lights in the outhouse returned. I wander if my attempts to replace the floodlight and the temporary loss of electricity and lights in the outhouse are related.

This is driving me crazy. Please can someone advise me as to what I might be doing wrong. Thanks.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Delicious
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:05 pm 

Without more information (what is the other cable for) all anyone can do is guess.

Instead of wasting your time taking back lights that work, why don't you fit a flex and a plug to one and plug it in and see does it work as you expect.

Or get a competent person in to do the job for you. It does not have to be an electrician, just a "handy man" who knows what he is doing.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link to find out more.

Working on anything electrical? have you got a multi meter? why not? Would you hit a nail with a shoe?

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:05 am 

You might want to read my thread on a similar problem pir-light-swap-t95615.html I hope it helps :thumbright:

DWD