DIY Forum

Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:49 pm

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:32 pm 

Hi folks, we have a fairly large drive which we are building to be finished in gravel on top and I am also clearing approx 20x4.5m of a gravel area at the side of our house and replacing with new gravel.

What is the best value weed barrier I can buy, also should I be spraying the area first with a weed killer anything first before laying it? I saw this on ebay and it looked quite good value just wondered if it would be ok? I bought some stuff from one of the usual places and its been rubbish it was just for a path but its very fibrous and just disintegrates easily - certainly no use for the drive! I am familar with terram etc but its not cheap, any suggestions please!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FREE-PEGS-4m ... XT57Buj3Mg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GROUND-SHEET ... GAUek_C8yg

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Delicious
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:49 pm 

If you have visible weeds then spray with glyphosate and then leave for at least a couple of weeks for it, hoe off and dig/rake to get flat and remove any sharp stones etc. Glyphosate does for most perennials you can get it at commercial strength on ebay can be applies with a watering can or spray, wear gloves and only apply when weather is dry and no window otherwise it will blow on to the stuff you don't won't to kill

I have the yuzet on my allotment have had it in for three years and it is still ok it was the cheapes I could get at the time. It does fray badly so when you cut it you need to seal the edges with a blow torch or tuck it under an inch or two and tape with good quality waterproof duct tape. You can fix with ground staples, plastic pegs or trench it depending on how energetic you are and your budget When it has rained it will hold the water where it collects for a few hours so you need to grade the surface correctly to allow run off

There are better ones with a closer weave that cut better however one thing you have to bear in mind is drainage they will hold the water for a period of time and the more heavy the weight the less porous they are

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Weed-Control ... 46811?var=

Marestail, Horstail and couch will get through all if you let them so some annual maintenance is required eg spray at the right time

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:57 pm 

Surely it has to be said that, over time, many weeds will seed & take root in the dust, debris, moisture & detritus in amongst the gravel, regardless of any membrane, of any standard, beneath it. Regular chemical treatment is the only way.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:44 pm 

Thank you for the detailed reply, truthfully I never new drainage was an issue with these products so thanks for that, it will be graded as it happens anyway.

Yes there is no doubt it would get weeds over time anyway but what I’m dealing with just now is a joke and it’s been treated 3 tines this year!