Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:22 pm

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:42 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi all,

My house has a large garage in the back garden. It was situated next to a massive tree which had to be chopped down by the previous owners as the roots lifted the garage floor and put the house foundations at risk. The old drain from the garage was also battered by this tree and is no longer functional. I dug it up and it used to go to an old style soak away (filled with rubble etc)

I need to give the water from the garage guttering somewhere else to go as it was flooding into the garage last winter. I was considering digging a new and more modern soakaway into the lawn (with soakaway crates). The soil in my garden is clay on the top 2 feet at least and the research I have done says that soakaway do not tend to work in heavy clay soil. However, in the 14 months that i have been here, the lawn has not flooded in the rain or anything. And the fact that the old drainage method was a soak away has me wondering if one could work. (Though the old one was near the tree so the roots might have been sucking up all the water) Has anyone had experience with this and can lend some advice?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Delicious
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:36 am 

Why not collect it in a water barrel? Iam sure you will be able to get a 300lts plastic one in the Uk, if you are worried about overflow then a small pipe from the top to a hedge would be fine, its fresh water after all.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:55 am 

Once the butts are full, what will he do then? Over winter those butts will be full in a matter of days and after that he will need to deal with the water all over again.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:15 am 

Rorschach wrote:
Once the butts are full, what will he do then? Over winter those butts will be full in a matter of days and after that he will need to deal with the water all over again.

As said he can divert the water away as he is going to have to do anyhow, but just collect some as well, or have a bigger water butt, for my new build I will have 10000lts of rainwater collection and when full, the excess will go to a single soakaway, instead of the proposed four.