DIY Forum

 

Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

 

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

 

 

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:31 pm


Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]




 

 


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:46 am 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:37 pm
Posts: 87
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 1 times
This something that is REALLY annoying me, perhaps someone can help clear this up and advise where I've gone wrong.

Last October I laid a 15ft x 9ft slab via a delivery of on site mixed concrete.

This was my first experience of concreting and as such the mix was rather wet (high slump). I tamped and sawed with a piece of 2" x 4" and plenty of bleed water appeared, I used a bull float soon after to try and level the surface (further reading revealed this was a bad idea). It was over 18 hours before the surface began to dry out. Once fully cured the surface had a nasty dusty surface which through weathering disappeared and revealed exposed aggregate. I'm pretty sure from what I've read that this is was caused by too much bleed water and floating too early.

Next, I made a small path. 1 cement - 4 ballast. Due to it being late Autumn I used a rapid hardener. NO damp proof membrane underneath. This time I mixed the concrete myself in a wheel barrow, a drier mix was used. Less bleed water appeared and the curing process began far sooner. When ready I trowelled the area and edged it too. Months on NO exposed aggregate even via pressure washing. I followed the same method for producing some small steps, once again no issues.

Lastly, extended the original 15ft x 9ft base. Damp proof membrane used, drier mix but no rapid hardener. Curing began after a few hours, bleed water more or less gone, surface seemed ready for trowelling. Surface finished, but several days later seemed just slightly dusty. Pressure washed a few months on...exposed aggregate again!! :angryfire:

I've read plenty of info via the internet but I still can't find out the answer. I'd really like to establish what's causing this exposed aggregate. Any one have a remedy for this or can tell me where mistakes were made?

Thanks :)


Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Delicious
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 

 

 




Similar topics
   

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Visit Solent plastics


 

 

 

News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
ultimatehandyman privacy policy

Contact

 

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

phpBB SEO