DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:22 pm

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Hard wiring fridge
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:19 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hello to all
Just need a best solution to my situation. I am about to replace a fridge freezer that is hard wired, with another that will have to be installed the same way. There is no access to a socket as there is little space, so no possibility of ever fitting a wall socket either. The current setup is that a fused socket above the worktop supplies the cable to the back of the fridge, so the previous installation involved removing the appliances plug and connecting the two cables together. This I should add was not done by myself, so until I get the old fridge removed, I cant say how exactly the connection was made.
Which is why I am here looking for the best way to do this. I will of course take all the safety measures required. Just wondering if there is a connector block or some sort of Wago connector that would allow a simple but safe connection. Would prefer this instead of twisting wires and taping. I know these sort of connectors are widely used in lighting circuits, but not sure about appliance wiring
Since all the cabling will be out of site behind the fridge, I would just like to be confident that it is done safely, and any future removal of fridge, would be simplified
Hope someone has my answer, so thanks in advance

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Delicious
 Post subject: Re: Hard wiring fridge
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:36 pm 

:welcomeuhm:

I would normally expect there to be an outlet point somewhere under the counter. if there is one easy swap for a single socket.

Unusual for a fridge to be directly hard wired to an sfcu.

EDIT Twisting and taping mains electrical wires is bloody dangerous :wtf: OK for a battery operated doorbell but nowt else.

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

Last edited by wine~o on Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:41 pm 

I’ve seen sparkles try this in new homes and most customers won’t allow it for 2 reasons.
You invalidate the warranty on a brand new appliance by cutting the plug off and secondly the fridge needs to be unwired from the outlet to remove and replace.
Get a sparky to fit a socket in place of the outlet that’s there and you can plug your new appliance in with no problems.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:38 am 

You can get cooker connection units which will allow hard wiring to unit, then flex after the unit, with inverter fridge/freezer there is not a problem, but with cheaper models volt drop is a very real problem, hence near every one tells you not to use an extension lead. Not only has the lead got resistance but also the fuse, so having multi 13A fuses will cause a volt drop, so normal is the switch where you can reach it and fuse in a FCU behind fridge/freezer. Not a problem as if fuse blows there will be a fault with fridge/freezer so it has to be dragged out anyway.

In you case you already have a fuse, so don't want a second one, I would likely fit a 10A inline plug and socket as used with Pc's and kettles so easy to disconnect if you need to remove it for maintainance. I have used them for all sorts to extend leads, twisted connections are not acceptable anywhere, and I question why you can't simply cut off plug and thread cable through where ever old cable goes, why does there need to be a connector just need new plug after threading.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:47 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks for input every one. Perhaps I should have indicated that the biggest issue here is space. The freezer sits in a space that has only about half an inch clearance either side. Rear space is similar. Which is why my replacement freezer had to be practically identical measurements or slightly less.
The fused socket that the current cable runs from is about 1 metre away from where the freezer will sit. Now since the freezer cable will only be at max, 2 metres long, its obviously not possible to remove plug, and somehow guide cable back to wall socket. The freezer might get in the way...This Ericmark is why I cant simply cut of plug and thread cable..etc.etc
There is no option as stated, to install a socket either at the side or behind freezer. Changing the fused socket for a standard one, would not advance things either

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:50 pm 

You said little clearance either side and behind, what about above?

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link to find out more.

Working on anything electrical? have you got a multi meter? why not? Would you hit a nail with a shoe?

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:00 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks for response someone-else
But,unless you recommend installing a socket inside a cabinet ( directly above freezer ) I can rule that option out also. At the minute I am stuck with either wiring in new freezer same as old ( not best practice) or drilling through side panel, feed appliance cable through, and hope it can reach a work-top socket. I can always use an extension lead then if needed. Not that keen on any power cable lying on a work-top though
Is it not possible to safely connect two power cables...???

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:37 pm 

martinquartz wrote:

If by that you mean from two appliances, no, never do it.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link to find out more.

Working on anything electrical? have you got a multi meter? why not? Would you hit a nail with a shoe?

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:59 pm 
Approved Electrician

martinquartz wrote:
Thanks for response someone-else
But,unless you recommend installing a socket inside a cabinet ( directly above freezer ) I can rule that option out also. At the minute I am stuck with either wiring in new freezer same as old ( not best practice) or drilling through side panel, feed appliance cable through, and hope it can reach a work-top socket. I can always use an extension lead then if needed. Not that keen on any power cable lying on a work-top though

Have you had a look at how the original connection was done?